Rockwell Software - licensing

pegla00

Hi All,

There is about ten machines in one production facility with SLC500, ControlLogix and CompactLogic processors and some old and new style Panelviews. Supplied programs were written in:

RSLogix5000: 10.07, 12.06, 13.04, 15.01, 16.00, 17.00, 19.01, 20.01, 20.03 (20.03 may be labeled as Studio5000)

RSLogix500: 8.1.

PanelBuilder32: 3.83

FTView Studio: 8.0.

I am a bit confused about licensing needed to support all these different programs. Would FactoryTalk Activation cover all, or they need to have a combination of Master Disk and FactoryTalk Activation?

Thank you.

pegla00,

the older panelview terminals is being supported by AB, although you can get them repaired. Panelbuilder32 software is not licensed through Factory talk automation.

FT view studio is supported.

Depending on your Slc500 and logix5000 software, they may use the old evmove type activation or the new Factory talk activation. You will need to determine which you have.

I think logix5000 will support the old evmove system up to version 20, the slc500 I think is 8.3.

you will need to confirm what activations you have.

regards,
james

First as for the Panelbuilder 32 it is not licensed anymore it can be installed in a number of PCs

As for the RSLogix500 , RSLogix 5000 and FTView depending on the number of programmers it may be a solution to move a license for each programmer you have to a dongle.
When a programmer goes to a machine to work, he / she just plugs in the dongle and all his activations are on the dongle.
This also helps when your PC crashes you still have the license on the dongle you just have to reinstall the software you need.
Also master disks are no longer supported and the new PCs don't even have a FD Drive to use them so either way you will have to get away from the master disk and evmove at some point.

Also master disks are no longer supported and the new PCs don't even have a FD Drive to use them so either way you will have to get away from the master disk and evmove at some point.

Master disks can be put on any removable media, including USB thumb drives, we currently have one set up that way for our laptop (it is not the Dongle method)

RSLogix5000: 10.07, 12.06, 13.04, 15.01, 16.00, 17.00, 19.01, 20.01, 20.03 (20.03 may be labeled as Studio5000)

FYI 20.01 and 20.03 cant be loaded on the same machine, they are incompatible. I would recommend bringing the 20.01 stuff up to 20.03 if possible.

Yes you are correct you can move the activations to a USB drive but only with EvMoveCF the standard EvMove don't recognize a USB drive but FT Studio and RSLigix5000 V20 or higher only work with FT Activation Manager. And Manager rights the activations to the root of the hard drive or a dongle it doesn't work with a standard USB Flash Drive.
If I had a choice of having my activation on 1 flash drive or 2, I would chose a single flash drive (the dongle)
This is just one of many possibilities that may work. this one is clean and simple works and is supported by RA

I understand all that, but we do not have a Dongle the licences for our Desktops are concurrent and placed on the company server so we share them without having to move anything around.

When you host the activations you can either host them to a serial number of the hard drive/dongle or you can host them to your network adapter.

The versions that allow and disallow Master Disk method I am aware of...I have already posted them and the link to the Tech Note I got the information from

Why have you come here to ask about licensing and/or support....???

Surely the people to talk to are RA themselves, they will put together a package that will license what you need, and it may be less expensive than going to them and asking for specific licensing... you need to check it out with them.

I'm pretty certain everything you listed can be licensed using FactoryTalk Activations, and if there are existing EVMove licenses for some of your list they can be upgraded to FTA easily.

Talk to Rockwell, they will give the best advice...

Thank you all for your replies!

While I am waiting for my local RA distributor's answer to this question, it was interesting to hear your thoughts how to integrate listed software different licensing requirements.

Hopefully a USB disk/dongle would be the best solution for this customer. They should probably get one laptop and wait for RA's verdict on required software and cost, after all that they hope they would be able to deal with emergencies in the facility.