Newbie preparing for first project.

dhracer3

Brand new to the industry and have been spending some time mainly brushing up on my knowledge of PLC controls.

I have been given a fairly large project using OMRON software so I have been reading all the user manuals on CX Programmer, Designer and the whole CX-ONE package.

I'm looking forward to the up and coming project which is going to be a recommissioning job for an automobile line.. basically plugging in and making sure everything works well.

Do you have any tips for getting prepared for a large project like this?
I'm basically reading up on the whole OMRON line and making sure I know the hardware and then playing with the software a bit.

Any other tips you could provide?

I will be keeping this website very close to me I'm sure.

To me the most important thing on a job like this is knowing how the machine is supposed to work and the sequence of operations. If there is any documentation like that I would study it frontwards and backwards. If not try and figure it out from the logic and write down the sequence of operations in plain English ahead of time so you know what to expect when you start. If you understand the process the rest is fairly straightforward.
Also knowing how all the field devices work and how to troubleshoot them will be very helpful as well.

outline your sequence of operations, map out your tags, double check communication (if necessary). Simple, efficient code is easier to debug, and much easier for others to understand.
The best code to work with can be reused in similar projects with minimal hassle (relatively speaking).

Document everything.