Do I need to remove I/O terminals if not used. (Do they affect the hardware config.)?

Johnbit89

Hi there,

I have a new Simatic S7-400 with CPU connected to a rack of 2x ET 200M (IM 153-1) terminals which supply 4 x I/O boards each.

I have made several wiring modifications to the I/O terminals. So much so, that 2 of the digital I/O boards are not used.
They only have the 24V power wired to them.

At this point in time I do not have the software for the PLC.

My question:
Do I need to remove the I/O boards which are now redundant? Will I/O boards not in use affect the hardware configuration of the software or must I wait to see what is in the hardware configuration first before removing?

If they are in the hardware configuration they must stay in place whether any input devices are connect to them or not. Removing them will cause a fault on the CPU unless they are taken out of the hardware config.

You did not specify what kind of I/O it is, but here is a thread on the Siemens forum.

Personally, if you doubt that the channels will ever be used. I would remove the modules and use them somewhere else or keep them as spares, rather than having them age in your cabinet.