RS Logix 500 programs read only

alexrdzl

Hi everybody... I am a maintenance guy that troubleshoot PLC from time to time and not much into the programming field however today I found out that all my RS Logix 500 programs are opening and a message pops up with the legend that "program is already open" and only give me the option of "read only"... have this ever happened to anybody in here? Laptop runs windows 7, running RS Logix 500 ver 9.00. Hope somebody can help me on this!!

Thank you!

Is it possible that the last time those files were opened that the laptop crashed?

Are those files stored on a network drive? I have on rare occasions seen this occur when files are opened from a network location. The file attributes did not get set properly when they were closed, then the next time they were opened, this error popped up.

And, welcome to the Forum!

Is it possible that another computer on the network DOES have them open? It would be very poor practice, but some other tech could have them unnecessarily open on his PC.

All computers are in a network however this is the only one that could open a .rss file. I have 30+ programs and all do the same thing. Laptop got an update from the company IT support but what would it be the issue there? Also while connected to the PLc and tried to do an upload it said "contact the administrator to open this program" (something close to that). Thanks for the responses so far.

Browse to the .RSS file, right-click and get properties and see if the read-only thing is set.

Your IT guys may have done something making them read-only. It's also possible that they changed your permissions on the files or the folders they live in.

You could also try copying it locally and opening it (them).

I think if they were marked read only, or in a compressed folder, you would have gotten a different warning. It does sound like the IT department did something to cause the issue. Also, you need to be an administrator to be able to run RSLogix and RSLinx. Without administrator rights, you cannot even alter or add drivers to RSLinx. This can be a sticking point with some IT departments. Hopefully, they will work with you and not against you on this.

Maybe you could try disconnecting the laptop from the network, and then opening a program in the RSLogix500 software.
If the error still occurs, now it's isolated to the laptop.

The error occurs when you try to open the same program in a second instance of RSLogix500. The software can only
open the second instance of the same file in read only mode, since you can't edit any file simultaniously with another
software, or the same software, so it asks you if you want to open a copy in read only mode.

Or, I have found the same exact error does occurs if the read only attribute has been set in the .rss program file
properties, whether on the local computer or on a network drive.

Maybe you could try disconnecting the laptop from the network, and then opening a program in the RSLogix500 software.
If the error still occurs, now it's isolated to the laptop.

The error occurs when you try to open the same program in a second instance of RSLogix500. The software can only
open the second instance of the same file in read only mode, since you can't edit any file simultaniously with another
software, or the same software, so it asks you if you want to open a copy in read only mode.

Or, I have found the same exact error does occurs if the read only attribute has been set in the .rss program file
properties, whether on the local computer or on a network drive.

The Read Only attribute will be set on any file that is recorded onto a CD. If any program files were copied from a CD to the HDD, then the Read Only attribute would need to be reset for all of those files.

I moved the file to a different location (desktop just to try) and it works now. It seems like the Project folder became an administrator only folder and perhaps something that IT department did without notifying us. Thanks for all responses, issue is been resolved.

alexrdzl,

I had this same issue and the matter will only be resolved when the head of the IT department and his staff realize that your programs are stored on the network as a backup and you need read / write access. My engineering manager had to get involved to discuss the problem with them.

regards,
james