Drive Help Please

Tim Ganz

I have a 20 HP 1336 Force drive with a 15 HP motor and it's all of a sudden giving stall faults when we try to run and we have uncoupled the motor from the load to rule out mechanical issues and bearings and mechanical of the motor feels good.

We changed the drive and are getting the same issue. In this manual on page 179 http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/1336t-um006_-en-p.pdf

I see that Parameter 150 has sensorless options but in my drive I only have
0-Encoder Feedback
1-Encoder Feedback
2-Encoder Feedback /w tracker filter
3-Motor Simulation
4-Reserved
5-External Feedback (Test Appl)

This lines up with on older paper user manual i have here. Does this mean the drive can not run without an encoder? Looks like it does not have an encoderless mode on older firmwware / series?

I don't have an exact replacment motor with the correct C-Face motor but I do have a correct HP motor from another brand that I wanted to try to see if it's a motor issue since we already changed the drive but I don't see a way to run it encoderless unless I am missing something?

25+ year old drive, not workng, no longer supported, no parts available, missing features that are now common in even the low-end drives... Might be time to put it out to pasture.

I may still have the old paper manual for the Gen 1 1336, I'll look later today when I get to the office, but that drive pre-dates the Internet and PDF documentation, so unless someone scanned that old paper manual it might be difficult to figure out what that drive can or can't do. I know i don't remember any more...

Last edited: