PowerFlex 527s

kdcui

Lifetime Supporting Member
Has anyone tried the new PowerFlex 527s?

I've been working on a project using these. The 527s now use the motion planner in the PLC and are treated as motion objects (they are placed in the motion group).

So to command the 527, rather than accessing elements of the Input or Output assembly instance (.Start, .Stop, etc...), one has to use the motion instructions (MSO, MSF, MAJ, etc...).

Before, it was relatively simple to change the drive speed. I could have a PID loop or other calculation writing to the frequency command output member.

Now it seems I either have to re-execute an MAJ or do a MCD (change dynamics) each time the speed reference changes. It seems like a lot of work just to change drive speed.

Is there some other way to actively manage the speed at high frequency?

Thanks.

Well, the PURPOSE of the 527 was to make it program with Motion commands. So if you don't want that and you want to use parameter command programming, don't use a 527, use a 525. They are basically the same thing other than the programming and interfacing.

We bought the 527 for the safe-torque off over CIP Safety, didn't realize until later that it uses the motion group. Too late to go back, but we need the integrated STO anyways.

The use of motion commands in general is really not an issue, so much as this particular instance: whether using an MCD to continually update the speed reference every time it changes is the correct method.

Other than that it is nice having the motor info, scaling, etc... all in one place.
The AXIS_CIP_DRIVE structure does seem a little overkill for the VFD though.

Last edited:
You can use a Motion Jog. This combined with comparing at the Speed Reference and Speed Command and toggling the command off and back on seems to work. It IS a major pain for the either net Safe Torque Off. You should try setting up a program that uses 56 of the 527 drives. A major pain.