Need Help Finding Engineering Units - RSLogix 5000

bgahmad

Here's the background info:

My client has sent me the ACD files for what is currently installed on site.

I open up the files, and see the modules and their current scaling.

For example, I can see that Module 1, Channel 0 has a Low-High signal of 4-20 mA. The low-high engineering for this is 0-25.

My question is: what are the units for the low-high engineering? And how can I find this?

I don't know whether it's psig, degrees F, scfh. I need to know how to find this. Thanks

You make up the engineering units. You can type what ever you want in those fields so about all you can do is figure out what type of device is connected to those inputs and/or look at what the code is doing with those inputs. Maybe the code is documented in such a way that you will be able to figure it out. Or maybe looking at the prints on what type of device is wired to the input will help.

The easiest way is probably to look at wiring schematics. Or you can search around through the program to find how the inputs are used. In order give you anything specific about how/where to find the inputs in the program, I'd probably need to see it.

No, specifically, how do I view wiring/device connections in RSLogix? (Using either the ladder logic, device connections viewer, or something else)

If I had wiring schematics I wouldn't be asking this question, I'm on this thread because I don't know how to use RSLogix.

All the PLC knows is that the device connected is transferring measured information via a 4-20ma current loop connection. Beyond that, without the schematics, you'll have to go out in the field and visually see what is connected.

Unless the person who wrote the RSLogix program included some documentation detailing what each analog channel's engineering units are, the best you can do is draw inferences based on the usage of that channel's data in the program.

Look for any rung comments where the channel's data is used. Look for any descriptions in the tag list.

Studio5000 is a program development environment. It's not a schematics design package. Ask the client for the original electrical drawings, or do some good ol' fashioned site work and check the transmitter settings for each instrument.

If it's a decent sized facility with good procedures in place then it should have documentation for all the instrument configurations somewhere, hopefully being maintained.