FTView SE data logging

ppb1487

Hi guys
This is the first time I am doing this but somewhere it seems I am doing something wrong.
I need to log a few tags on demand to an ODBC database but I cannot figure out how to do so.
I followed all the steps as written below
1. Create a new data log model
2. Added description, selected ODBC database and clicked the browse button for ODBC Data Source
3. I dont have a ready made data source so I clicked New, selected File Data Source Management (Machine Independent), Next and selected SQL Server.
4. Clicked Browse after that to save the database somewhere.
5. Clicking next and then finish I have to select the SQL Server to connect to in which I selected SQLEXPRESS which came in the drop down list.
6. Clicked next until the end without changing any options and then tested the connection, it said SUCCESSFUL
7. Closed the whole thing and then gave the path where I created the .dsn file to the ODBC Data Source Entry field.
8. Pressed Create Tables and it did so.
9. Did not specify anything in path, file management. Log Trigger was on Demand and I put in the tags I want to log.
10. Hit OK which closed the open window
11. Created a button and put in DataLogOn <name of the data log model>
12. Created a button and put in DataLogOff <name of the data log model>

Diagnostic messages say everything is ok, also shows a message saying it turns on and off but I do not see the data anywhere.
Any hints as to what am I doing wrong here!!

Thanks guys

First, what version of FTView?
Second, try logging just to a file set, just to see if it works at all.
Third, do NOT use the SQLEXPRESS instance that FTView installs, you need to use a real SQL Server instance.
Fourth, what are the EXACT error messages? Check the Event Viewer for the exact messages.

-------
I have some lines that work fine with logging to SQL Server, but all of them are Version 5 or 6 of FTView. Upgrading to 6 on some of them completely broke the ability to log to SQL Server. With Version 8, sometimes it works, more often it fails, often crashing studio. Rockwell has been of absolutely zero help on the logging issues. Historian works well, but that isn't a Rockwell product, and uses a non-standard database.

If you can resort to just dealing with file sets, you should be OK.

Since your logging "OnDemand", you need to issue a "DatalogSnapshot" command somewhere in order to log an instance of data.

Hi rdrast
Sorry for the super late reply, got caught up in things.

It seems everything was right, it was logging alright I was just looking at the wrong place in the SQL Management Studio. Instead of logging it in the database that I linked the FTView to, it is logging in the master system database for some reason. Actually I cannot even see the database that I created.
So it is logging.
At a different place.
I just need to take it from there and put in some SQL querries to get the relevant data.

FYI
I am using FT version 6.0, CPR9 SR 3.
I cannot use FileSet since I need the data and play around with it a bit as suitable. FileSet only gives me the results in trends which for me is kinda useless

@John
Yes I did see that using Datalogsnapshot helps, however it gives me 3 sets. ie it logs 3 times.
1. When I turn the Datalogging on
2. When I take a snapshot
3. When I turn Datalogging off

So I will just stick with Datalogging on and off

Thanks guys
Appreciate it

You do not need to turn the datalogger on and off. Leave it running and only use the datalogsnapshot command to log data. It always logs when turning it on and again when off.

When you configure the ODBC topic with the SQL driver, thats where you designate what DB you want the data to go to. I would create a new one to log your data.