Manually talking HART

Epy

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have been trying to figure out how to write a small bit of code to simply poll the 4 variables via HART. Right now I'm trying with Python on my PC (using a RS232 to HART adapter and an E+H FMI51 as a guinea pig), but so far no luck. Any good examples out there without going straight to the protocol documentation? I found an existing software package called MBLogic, but it doesn't seem to work, as I can't get any HART devices to response, even with errors. I was hoping that PACTware had an API or something I could use. End goal (for now) is simply to be able to log from a HART device. End goal (future) is to be able to use an RS232 to HART adapter on a MicroLogix or other PLC to do HART comms that way. Thanks for any help.

HART used to pretend to have an open protocol, but ceased such pretension about 5 years ago. Now, if you want the protocol, pay.

If you poke around the web you might be able to find a document for older HART 4 or 5 that gives some protocol details.

I believe the Pactware Generic HART driver is actually licensed, because when Honeywell first introduced a collection of HART devices their first huge-file release of the DTM ensemble included a generic HART driver. Subsequent DTM releases did not, as though they'd realized they weren't authorized to release the driver without licensing. But that's my speculation.

Even if you had the Pactware HART generic driver, I've only ever used Pactware for momentary connections for configuration. Is there a 'save data' mode in Pactware?

If I needed 4 HART variables, I'd buy Moore Industries HIM box, get the its 3 variables out as analog signals along with the primary variable on the device's AO; connect those AOs to my controller/DAQ/whatever and be done with it.

Dan

I'd agree, but I want to do multi-drop mode with many HART devices and get actual digital values instead of relying on analog scaled values.

I figured as much regarding the protocol openness.

Might use something like this instead I guess: http://www.renuelectronics.com/gwy-800ope.htm

If I'm looking at that right, it takes HART variables and makes them available as Modbus registers.

If I needed 4 HART variables, I'd buy Moore Industries HIM box, get the its 3 variables out as analog signals along with the primary variable on the device's AO; connect those AOs to my controller/DAQ/whatever and be done with it.

Dan

I have done this many times successfully but it does take up a bunch of inputs.. I'd really like to see this idea from.the OP succeed as I'd want it as well. lol