Sending emails with Compact Logix L33ER

Rosemarie

Hello everyone,

I am trying to send an email with a Compact Logix L33ER. I used the example provided on the rockwell website, but it did not work. I always get an error code 16#0001 extended error code 16#0000_0100. As there was nothing written in my email status tag, I looked at the error returned by the smtp server : 501 Helo requires valid address.

Does anyone know what could be the problem ? Is it the program or the smtp ? It is not a secured smtp (no authentication) and it uses the port 25.

Regards,

Rosemarie

What is the address you're using for the SMTP? Is it an IP address (eg: 20.30.40.50) or are you using a server name to connect to it?

If you're using the server name, the network you are using to connect to it has to have the ability to resolve the server name or it will not connect.

I had the same problem when trying to use a ControlLogix 1756-L61 PLC to send emails using an SMTP. The I.T. department gave me the SMTP server name but I needed the SMTP IP because the PLC network wasn't set up to resolve server names.

I did a ping of the server from a connection I knew resolved server names and it showed the IP address. I replaced the server name with the IP address and everything worked.

Port 25 is the default port for SMTP servers. So the port shouldn't be an issue.

Just a thought for what it's worth.

Dave

Hello DGillen,

Thank you for the quick answer !

I tried using the SMTP name and the SMTP IP. Both are not working. The PLC seems to connect to the SMTP as I can see the "HELO" command, but it always returns the error "HELO requires a valid address".

Any other idea ?

interesting thread, I too was having the same problem
g.png