Ignition Data Dropping OUt

mrchris76

Lifetime Supporting Member
I started at a new company and I am moving from a place where we only used Wonderware to a place that has both Wonderware and Ignition. I am learning Ignition and its starting not to be so painful an experience. My problem is that from time to time the data in Ignition just drops out for 2 to 5 seconds (Boxes on HMI turn red and no data seems to be moving). It comes back online afterwards and works fine until the next time it happens. Right now it is only on a few applications and that data drop out is ok because we are mainly using it as a way to view data. Any controls are just sending commands to a drive ect and it is out of the picture until the programming in drive completes. Has anyone esle had this issue? If so how did you fix it?

I know there is a module that will keep the data flowing if main server goes down but is there another work around. I think it is probrably the network but I want to make sure I had asked the forum before I kicked in the IT departments door. I like what I am seeing from Ignition and I want to use it on all new installations but I am hesitant because of this data drop out.

Thanks,
Chris

I started at a new company and I am moving from a place where we only used Wonderware to a place that has both Wonderware and Ignition. I am learning Ignition and its starting not to be so painful an experience. My problem is that from time to time the data in Ignition just drops out for 2 to 5 seconds (Boxes on HMI turn red and no data seems to be moving). It comes back online afterwards and works fine until the next time it happens. Right now it is only on a few applications and that data drop out is ok because we are mainly using it as a way to view data. Any controls are just sending commands to a drive ect and it is out of the picture until the programming in drive completes. Has anyone esle had this issue? If so how did you fix it?

I know there is a module that will keep the data flowing if main server goes down but is there another work around. I think it is probrably the network but I want to make sure I had asked the forum before I kicked in the IT departments door. I like what I am seeing from Ignition and I want to use it on all new installations but I am hesitant because of this data drop out.

Thanks,
Chris
What version of Ignition are you using?
What type of plc , and if Contrologix/Compactlogix what version?
Previous versions have had issues with complex UDTs.

You'll need to provide more information, and to me Wonderware - Painful, Ignition - Painless. If you are new to it, start doing the online courses at inductiveuniversity.com

As for your issues, I've had this problem too but could be any number of things related to Ignition, your Network, the PLC type, the PLC tags...etc.

Give us an overview of your system, the Ignition version, the PLC type and versions, the Ignition settings, scan rates, number of tags...etc.

Ignition Version is 7.7
CompactLogix 5332E Controller Rev 19.15
Total Tags = 3322 scan class = 3
3183 tags scan rate = 1 sec
6 tags scan rate =10 secs
1 tags scan rate= 10 msecs
Database Connections: Microsoft SQLServer JDBC Driver

I have been taking the courses on the Inductive University site. I am only 33% done though. Let me know if this is the information that you need. Thanks for the replies.

You'll need to provide more information, and to me Wonderware - Painful, Ignition - Painless. If you are new to it, start doing the online courses at inductiveuniversity.com

As for your issues, I've had this problem too but could be any number of things related to Ignition, your Network, the PLC type, the PLC tags...etc.

Give us an overview of your system, the Ignition version, the PLC type and versions, the Ignition settings, scan rates, number of tags...etc.

why you logon to the gateway, what does the status screen display.
Also the console is used to display events and messages.

connect to your Compactlogix with a web browser and look at the Ethernet utilization % and number of connections.

ScreenHunter_532 Jul. 24 11.49.jpg ScreenHunter_533 Jul. 24 11.49.jpg

Ignition Version is 7.7
CompactLogix 5332E Controller Rev 19.15
Total Tags = 3322 scan class = 3
3183 tags scan rate = 1 sec
6 tags scan rate =10 secs
1 tags scan rate= 10 msecs
Database Connections: Microsoft SQLServer JDBC Driver

There isn't much going on here, for reference my last project had over 110,00 tags on a ControlLogix.

Two things come to mine:
1 - Check the amount of CIP connections being used in the Controller. You can do this by looking at the webpage of the CompactLogix, just type the IP address into a browser. Its possible that your system has maxed out the CIP connections. This is very possible if you have a lot of remote analog cards.

2 - Check the scan class, see if it is configured for DIRECT mode or LEASED mode. I've had poor results using LEASED. DIRECT seemed to provide better results even though the definition of LEASED should be less taxing. We had complex UDTs so that might have played a factor.

What is the single tag at 10ms doing? Is it really needed to be that fast? I have a hard time believing it's updating that fast in the controller.