Need Some PLC 5 Help

The Plc Kid

Hey guys I have a PLC 5/60 that we need to makes some minor program changes to and the DH+ network on this site is down and it looks like it runs all over the place and of course nothing is labeled and nothing is documented.

The issue is that channel 2 A nd B are both used to run the process and with those 2 phoenix connectors in place I can't connect my 1784-CP10 Serial cable as there is just not enough physical room to plug it in. (Bad design?)

I assume the 1784-CP10 is the correct cable to use for this or is there another with a lower profile?

The plant DH+ network connects to channel 1A so could I put a phoenix connector of my own in there and 2 short pieces of Blue Hose with a resistor on each end to mimic the network so it would be just this PLC 5/60 on the network? In that setup would it want to see 2 resistors or just 1?

They can't stop the process for me to remove the phoenix connectors on channel 2 where the serial cable will fit and this programming really needs to be done online while the process is running.

Unfortunately they don't have anything to hack together a lower profile cable and the 1784-CP10 is all I have in my bag.

Any suggestions?

EMERGENCY connection to DB-25 ... (or DB-9) ... (or DB-74, etc.) ...

I've had to do (and recommend) the following trick before ... (my students will recognize this as the "guy doing start-up in the Philippines" lesson) ...

bust the plastic head of the CP10 – or solder together something similar ...

you basically just need THREE male pins soldered onto the end of THREE short jumper wires ... manually poke the pins into sockets 2, 3, and 7 in the correct order – and off you go ...

BASIC IDEA ... if the head of the cable gets in your way – just ditch the head and work with the wires ... it's hard to imagine something with a "lower profile" than no head at all ...

also ...

for a short run of Blue Hose – you can probably get along fine without the resistors ... at least on a PLC-5 ... on the other hand, a ControlLogix 1756-DHRIO module is a LOT pickier about having the resistors installed ...

Last edited:
Do you have access to a 1784-PCM6 cable and a 1784-PCMK card? That cable comes with an 8 pin mini-din adapter.
Quote:"The plant DH+ network connects to channel 1A so could I put a phoenix connector of my own in there and 2 short pieces of Blue Hose with a resistor on each end to mimic the network so it would be just this PLC 5/60 on the network? In that setup would it want to see 2 resistors or just 1?" You need a resistor on each end of the cable. How would you interface to your PC with that setup?

@ Ron I may have to try and get the molding of my CP10 cable and use wires and pins. Thanks for the tip

I was quite surprised that they made the 5/60 like this so that when both Phoenix cables are used you can't plug in the correct factory AB cable?

Ron I also tried to use my 1784-U2DH+ cable which is the USB version plugged into the DIN connector on channel 1 which is where they have connected in the past and the plant DH+ daisy chain plugs into channel 1 A. They have 9 processors on this DH+ network and non of them come up on their pc with a PCMK cable nor on mine so I know there must be a wiring issue somewhere.

But when I tried my 1784-U2DHP in Channel 1 DIN connector I got nothing also which is why I was considering adding a couple short pieces of blue hose and 1 or 2 resistors to mimic a network.

From your experience would you have expected to see the processor when plugged into 1A Din connector with no Blue Hose or any resistors?

@ Everyone Does anyone know if they make a phoenix connector where the wire terminals are on the other side?

Do you have access to a 1784-PCM6 cable and a 1784-PCMK card? That cable comes with an 8 pin mini-din adapter.
Quote:"The plant DH+ network connects to channel 1A so could I put a phoenix connector of my own in there and 2 short pieces of Blue Hose with a resistor on each end to mimic the network so it would be just this PLC 5/60 on the network? In that setup would it want to see 2 resistors or just 1?" You need a resistor on each end of the cable. How would you interface to your PC with that setup?

I have a 1784-U2DH+ cable (The USB Version for DH+) but with the network being down and it connected into 1 A I get no comms. That's why I was considering removing the cable for the plant DH+ network and making my own network in the panel with just that one processor on it to do my work then they can solve the plant DH+ wiring issue at a later date.

From your experience would you have expected to see the processor when plugged into 1A Din connector with no Blue Hose or any resistors?

well, that's hard to say ... in MOST cases, I'd expect to see the Data Highway Plus stations ... are you sure that your RSLinx driver is configured for the right DH+ baud rate? ...

and remember that the ports on your PLC-5 processor can be RECONFIGURED in the Channel Configuration feature ... are you SURE that they're all set up for DH+ (and not for Remote I/O) ? ...

Last edited:
well, that's hard to say ... in MOST cases, I'd expect to see the Data Highway Plus stations ... are you sure that your RSLinx driver is configured for the right DH+ baud rate? ...

and remember that the ports on your PLC-5 processor can be RECONFIGURED in the Channel Configuration feature ... are you SURE that they're all set up for DH+ (and not for Remote I/O) ? ...

Yes I did some work for them about 4 months ago and they have a connection port to this network from their engineering office where I did most of the changes to this same processor and I have the old file where it's setup for DH+ at 57 on that channel and they have no means to make programming changes and they always use a contractor and the engineering manager said no one has worked on it since me 4 months ago.

They have a custom app that collects a few data points over DH+ in the engineering office and that stopped working a few weeks ago and the engineering manager noticed the DH+ was down because nothing would show up on Linx.

Do your 5/60's have the 8 pin mini connection on the front? (I think this was introduced on 'enhanced' variants) If so you should be able to directly connect to that port with your 1784-U2DH+ without any connector interference and get online using DH+ direct to that controller. If the DH+ network is down you won't see the other controllers of course. If you don't have the 8 pin mini connection, you can use an 8 pin to DP9/25 adaptor. I thought someone on the site sold those, but it's been a few years since I looked.

DH+ was always pretty straight forward when I had to deal with it. Both PCMK card and USB worked well. PCMK had more configuration to do in RSLinx. I don't recall if you had any configuration items with the USB drive, but be sure the speed switches are set correctly.

Also be aware of your DH+ node address, I would always use a high number like 59 to avoid 0 because not everyone changed the node address out-of-the-box from my experience.

Remember that blue hose is used for both DH+ and RIO networks, and in my experience are always a big mess.

Is there still an active HMI (Panelview) on the DH+ network in the Plant anywhere?

I have an adapter I made so I can sneak onto the DH+ network at any HMI location.

If you do have one active I can go get my adapter and post a picture.

BCS