Simatic Step7 Licenses

leem2209

Lifetime Supporting Member
Our factory is divided into departments, and our finishing department has had a new machine fitted with lots of Siemens PLC's.

We have always had separate laptops for each department with relevant software for the kit installed.

Now they have Siemens, they are pinching our PG and often we are finding moments when we both need it.

So, I have given them one of our old PG's but the software is out of date.

I'd like to update this for them and have found a whole stack of Siemens software CD packages.

Looking at our newer PG, we have:
CFC - Step 7 Option v6.1
D7-SYS v6.2
WinCC flexible 2008 Adv v1.3
WinCC Advanced Combo v11.0
Step 7 Prof Edition 2010 v5.5
Step 7 Prof Combo v11.0

All these licenses are "floating" and "unlimited"

According to the help index, floating means; "rights of use for simultaneous usage. The software can be installed at multiple locations"

Does this mean I can dig through all these CD's we have and find the up-to-date software and install it on the old PG too?

If so, how do I go about installing the licence on the old PG aswell?

As always, cheers for help!

Make the other department buy the software. You need licenses on both PC/PG to run at the same time.
Or transfer the licenses using Automation License Manager and use one PC/PG at a time

Thanks JRW... I did a little more reading in it last night and thought that might be the case... Damn! We've got to share with the enemy... Grrrr...

Ok, will the old step 7 v5.4 licence still be valid if I up date it to the newer version?

No
V5.4 works with Step7 V5.4 licenses
V5.5 works with Step7 V5.5 licenses

Nothing is free in this world

I noticed you have Step 7 Prof Combo v11.0
This is for Step7 V5.5 and V11 Step 7 TIA Professional. So do you need to use Portal and StepV5.5 at the same time??

Do a screenshot of your licenses in ALM

Last edited:
11lpjqw.jpg

Hmmmm. We might be able to transfer a licence across for one? I'm not fully sure what kit the other department has. I'll have to go look, they may be able to just live with whats already on the old PG.... Step7 v5.4

Note that the Combo licenses are valid for both the Portal software (V11) as well as the older software (v5.5 or WInCC Flex). This means that you can run both programs at the same time on the same laptop, if you so desire. At a minimum, this means you can probably share the WinCC Flex v1.3 license and the S7 pro 5.5 license, without losing any functionality on your laptop. It might not be everything they need, but it might be a start.

ALso note that if you have a reliable wifi connection out on the plant floor, it is possible to store the licenses on a server, and have both laptops set up request the license only when it is needed. This means that as long as you don't need the software at the same time, you could potentially get by with only one set of licenses. I've seen this work well in environments with teams of engineers sharing, but I'm not sure how well it would work at a factory where you are sharing between only two laptops. You wouldn't want to risk downtime because the other half of the plant was fixing something.