Help backing up Siemens Equipment

dpurtill

I am looking for advice on backing up Siemens equipment. While I have written a few basic Allen Bradley PLC programs over the years, I am not an active PLC programmer. However, I am responsible for backing up all of our PLCs plant wide. Over the last few of years we have added several pieces of equipment with Siemens PLCs. Can someone please help me in selecting the right software to purchase and the correct license level for backing up the following types of equipment? I have sent emails to Siemens with no response. I will not be programming Siemens PLCs I will just be creating backups and possibly restoring the program.
We have several Siemens Simatic S7-300
We have several Siemens Simatic OP 17
We have a few of the following:
Siemens Sinumerik 50.3-C
Siemens Sinumerik 810D CCU3.4
Siemens CPU 315
Siemens Sinumerik 840D, BS002
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Doug Purtill

What kind of backup do you need to take? Do you want to be able to edit it later, or just load it back into the processor in case of a spare part swap?

With the Sinumerik 840D, I think it is possible to take an archive directly from the PCU interface. I don't think additional software is needed. I'm not sure if that works for the 810D or not. I haven't done this in a long time, though, so I couldn't help you to perform the archive.

For the S7-300's, they probably have a memory card that they project is stored on. If the PLC fails, you can move the MMC into the spare part PLC, and the program and (i think) all retentive data will be carried over.

You would need Step 7 if you want to be able to back up the program itself. Note that you can upload the code from a 300, but it doesn't retain the tag names, comments, etc. It can be downloaded again, and will run fine, it will just be very hard to read. You need the original project if you want the code to be meaningful. The version of Step 7 you need depends on what version they used to generate the code, and what (if any) options were used.

For the OP17, I'm not sure if it is possible to do an upload where you can edit the file. YOu can do an uneditable binary upload via ProSave.
https://support.industry.siemens.com/cs/us/en/view/10347815