Microsoft Task Manager Memory Breakdown

Rusty_K

Hi,
I know this is not a direct PLC question but I am trying to track a memory leak on my WinCC server. I would just like to know how exactly the memory displayed in Microsoft task manager, on the "Performance" tab, breaks down. Nobody around here has been able to give me a proper explanation as to how the overall memory usage fraction (in the status bar, at the bottom left) is calculated based on the physical and kernel memory values displayed. What exatly is "Kernel Memory"? Is it another name for Virtual Memory? What do they mean by paged/nonpaged. Any help or referrals to websites would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you kindly

Cheers!

R.K.

Last edited:
I think that kernel memory is the memory in use by or reserved for the kernel (guts) of the OS. Paged vs Non-Paged I'm not too sure of, lots of times paged refers to virtual and non-paged refers to physical. I don't promise any of this is right though as MS tends to do their own thing and change their own terms for things from time to time.

I think that paged memory is stored on your hard drive, in your page file. The unpaged will be in your actual memory, not on your hard drive.
Your real memory RAM is much faster to request data from or write to.
The OS, and other programs, usual needs more memory than available in the computer, there for is the page file. It’s a short of virtual memory stored on your hard drive.

Note:

If you want to view the page for the last link Ron provided, you'll have to click on it, then when it's in your address bar delete the last "bb" on the end of the address. Then you'll get the intended page.

Good links Ron, Thanks much! (y)