click plc

um635

I am new to motion control. I am working on my first project. I have a teknic clearpath MCPV servo motor. I started out by simply hooking the motor enable inputs to a toggle switch powered with a 24vdc power source. When I toggle the switch on it enables the motor. When I toggle off then back on quickly it will act as a pulse and trigger the motor to move a predetermined distance I have already input into the clearpath motor.

This is the extent of my application. I now want to replace the toggle switch with a plc. I am using a click plc from automation direct. I have written a ladder program that enables the motor, disables it then enables it again. It is not triggering the motor to move. I am hoping someone can push me in the right direction on how to write this ladder logic correctly.

thanks,

Is this a follow-up to this thread at the AutomationDirect forum? If so I know you provided the Click model number and the Servo Motor model number there.

If so please provide the following in zip format:

1. A schematic drawing showing the hookup between the Click and the Servo Motor.

2. Your current Click program (again, be sure to zip the .ckp file)

3. A screen shot of the programmed setup of the Servo Motor.

What is currently happening?

yes it is a follow up to that link.

connections

enable + from servo to 24v + on plc
enable - from servo to y1 on plc
24- from power supply to c3 on plc
24v + from power supply to 24v + on plc

the ladder program I sent only enables the motor. No trigger. I have tried different ways of enabling and disabling to create a trigger. No luck. I obviously don't know what I am doing. My guess is I need to time it in some way. Could the plc be reading the ladder program so fast the disable doesn't register with the servo before it is enabled again.

attached are links to the program and screenshot of the motor setup.

thanks

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jgsomzkds...opbox.com/s/5bo4za164isqeka/IMG_0953.JPG?dl=0

The 'ladder program' on Dropbox is just a link to the project on your desktop. The picture you posted is too low a resolution. I can't read the actual settings.

In the meantime, looking at the picture you have homing disabled so we don't need to worry about the 'home' input. Input 'A' will select whether you will be doing the smaller positive increment (Input A OFF) or the larger negative increment (Input A ON). Once selected the Enable must be pulsed from OFF to ON. The servo should perform one of the selected increments for each transition. According to the video you can send multiple triggers even before the motion from the first increment is finished. it will just add them up and do one long cumulative increment. Check the documentation for the minimum ON and OFF time limits of the Enable.

I assume that you have viewed the video at the website. This link is to a 4 position incremental setting. I don't see a video for a two position incremental but I assume it is similar to this. It looks like the 2 position incremental frees up an input to be used as a home switch.

Is the motion correct when you just use the setup software?

Last edited:
sorry for taking so long to get back to you. I am currently out of town. I think your question has led me to my solution. I found out from teknic because it's not in the manual that any pulse that is shorter than what is set up in the controller is disregarded by the servo. I had it at 100ms. I think in reading about the click 20ms is the only thing I can get out of the click. So I am hoping all I need to do adjust the pulse time on the clearpath to match. Anyway I will try it next week when I get back and let you know. Again thank you.

In response to the other questions. Yes I saw the video. It's the reason why I bought the motor to emulate that application. When I run everything in the software it runs perfectly. I am using the two position application. I enable input b because I need the motor to turn cw. I am auctually making product with it now. We are just using a toggle switch to make it move. It works great. I just need to automate the toggle switch with the plc. Again thank you taking the time. I will let you know how it turns out.