RSView32 Need To Restart When Switching Programs

Compass

Hello.

I have a job where I have to juggle between several RSView32 programs. Whenever I close out of one .rsv program (properly) and try to open another, I get a message saying RSView32 was not shut down properly and that I need to reboot.

Rebooting Works.
Once I went to task manager and killed any process with a 32 in it. This allowed me to reopen, but most of my Tag database was missing. Restarting fixed it.

It's not a terminal problem, it slows my productivity in a crisis, though it does force me to take micro breaks in a long shift.

I'm using
RSView32 Works ( Ha Ha ) 32K
Release Number 7.50 (CPR 9 SR 1)
Patch 00
Build 11

With
RSLinx Classic
2.57.00.14 CPR 9 SR 3

Any chance you can write a quick windows batch file? If you can pinpoint the process that you're killing in task manager that allows you to re-open.

Might start slowly, one process at a time. My guess is one process is for the application, another is for the database. Maybe if you can find just one for the

basically in note pad you want to do a:
/echo off
/taskkill /im <image_name> /f

/im denotes you're looking for an image name.

/f means forcefully terminate the process.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb491009.aspx

Might be worth a shot.

Are you trying to launch the next application from a shortcut; where you launch RSView32 from the .rsv project file? Or are you going into RSView32 first and then opening the project file? Does that seem to make a lick of difference?

I've been going into RSView and opening the project file. No shortcuts.

Now that you mention it, there are operators computers that have the shortcut in there startup menu. Of course they only have the runtime version, but we'd really be screwed up if they had this problem.

That was a common problem that we would see all the time when we were using RSView32. Even the same app won't relaunch. RSView leaves behind loose threads when it closes. You don't have to reboot. Log out and log back in will work, and is faster than a reboot. However that isn't a solution.

Can you combine all the RSView apps into one? Then create a central navigation screen that takes you to each section. That way you don't have to exit.

You should start making plans to move beyond RSView32. The product has reached its end of life and is not being updated, and won't run beyond OS Win7-32. Since we are in the Win 10 era as of tomorrow morning, it is time to start making plans. IME it takes a couple of years to select a new platform and fully migrate anything but the simplest systems.

Thanks.

The logout vs reboot idea sounds helpful.

I tried to test it, and the other suggestion, but RSView doesn't even seem to be doing the thing at the moment. Typical.