Disabling Data file on RSLogix 500?

carlisn

Hello everyone. This might be a silly question for many of you here. I have created 2 separate ladders. One to control one part of the machine while other parts were just not used or active. The other ladder was controlling the other part of the machine while the previous part was not used. Now I want to have only one ladder but I have used many timers and binary files (OSR, bits) with the same numbers (ie.: T4:0 or B3:0/2) on both ladders I need to combine. How can I achieve this without having to renumber every single timer and bit? The ladders are very long to do it one by one. I have already played with JMP, LBL and JSR instructions using 3 different data files (U:2, U:3 and U:4) but it seems like the PLC does not activate some outputs somehow. I was thinking the best way to make this work would be disabling one data file while the other was active and vice-versa but I don't know how to do it! Any input would be greatly appreciated.

You can't just "Disable" a data file, and yes, they are global.
You are going to have to re-write the program.
If you have combined two different programs into one, you can create a new set of data files, say B30, T40, N70, F80 etc, and just re-assign the "second" merged ladder to those.

If you have actual duplicate inputs and outputs, you also have some rewiring to do.

There isn't any magic.

If the ladders are identical in terms of function, but simply reference different timers, integers, etc, you can do this rather easily by having three separate data tables for each data type. Two of the data tables will hold the sets that you currently use. The third will be the "working" tables. Simply copy the data tables corresponding the ladder you want to use into the working data tables and reference these addresses in your ladder.

Perhaps the search & replace in RSLogix would help. It's pretty powerful once you get the hang of it. For instance, you could rename all timers T4:5 through T4:12 to T20:10 through T20:7. All of the associated tags go along (or not) as do things like .DN bits.

As always with a job like this, save your work frequently so there's no o_O.

Ok good idea I'll try replacing. I'll also have rewrite many tags on the HMI that are duplicated on the ladder :(