Low cost, medium range, serial radio modem

willpower100

Does anyone know of any low cost serial radio modems, medium range (under 1 mile)? RS232 or RS485, 2 way. Frequency hopping, spread spectrum would be nice.

I am looking at a low cost solution for a customer. I need to communicate with the PLC from the scale office to the remote plant.

Any ballpark prices would be helpful.

Thanks,

Willpower100

Last edited:
I used some about 8 years ago that were outstanding, but have been trying to remember the name for 2 years.

I got them through GE.

Ahha! Found Them!!!

http://www.data-linc.com

Don't remember Data-Link pricesw, some other brands are cheaper.
Rough range will be 200-1000 American. I would expect that it will run you 249-300 each for what you want.
I prefered the Data-Links 'cause I could plug them directly into the rack. I believe they had bricks available, too,

Many RF links are available with external antennas to increase range.

I used to buy surplus Motorola radio modems from MDM Radio in Melrose Park, IL (Chicago). They wete 460 mhz and worked super, a transceiver and modem, all was needed was RF connectors and a case.

No doubt, someone else will check in with another brand or two.

regards......casey

For whatever reason, I was "guested".

Anyway, an edit attempt here.

Not sure of the Data-Link prices. Others are in the 200-1000 range, with reliable ones around $300.

Data-Link has models that plug in like an I/O card, available for several major PLC brands.

regards.......casey