VM networking help

dwoodlock

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello All,

Pretty new to Virtual machines, and definitely not a networking expert.

I have a siemens M4 PG, and I am trying to consolidate my programming software onto this laptop.

I used VMWare to create a virtual, and then installed all my rockwell software on that virtual.

For connecting to one of my SLC 5/04's I added a Prosoft ANX gateway, to convert the DH+ port to Ethernet.

I have set the ANX IP as 192.168.0.41

I tried to use the ANX utility to locate the gateway on my network, but it doesn't show up even with my PG Ip address set in the appropriate range.

I checked my PG's network adapters and there are 2 listed for VMware.
VMnet1: 192.168.126.1 , 255.255.255.0
VMnet8: 192.168.50.1 , 255.255.255.0

When I disable these adapters, I am then able to use the ANX utility to find the gateway on my network successfully.

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to how I can make my virtual machine work in harmony with my main system. It may just be that I cant program wirelessly anymore, but perhaps you someone has been down this road before.

Thanks in advance

If I remember correctly. You only have to change the settings on your GW machine, the VM should be set to auto.

I may be very wrong, but this seems to be what I remember from using XP mode a while back.

make sure your ethernet port on the VMware is "bridged" to your host adapter.
Also do not check the "replace NAT...something" checkbox

You sir, are the man!

Thank you bkottaras and boneless!

I think the default setting for the VM was NAT, and I tried changing to to one of the other options, but like you said Bridged was the correct one.

Thanks again guys!

If you are using VMware, there are a number of different ways your networking can be set up. They let you do just about anything, but that can make it hard to do any one specific thing, if you don't know what you are doing.

I tend to have the best results with my VMset to "bridged" mode. As far as the network is concerned, I have two PCs. This way, it doesn't matter what IP address my host machine is, as long as the IP of the VM matches the IP addres range to which I want the VM to connect. However, sometimes VMware can be a little tricky when it comes to choosing which network adapter it uses. There are ways to set/configure this behavior, but the easiest way to make sure you are correct is to disable all physical network adapters in your host except the one you plan to use, and then launch VMware to start your VM.

It is also possible to set it up so that your host system acts as a NAT router, and the VM uses its connection. Sometimes this is needed for a wireless network to work properly, especially if they use enterprise authentication. The downside here is that the devices in the field can't directly see your VM, they can only communicate via the host PG. Layer 2 tools (tools that assign IP addresses often work at layer 2) often don't work, because they aren't usually passed on by NAT routing.

Last edited: