Establish comms to SLC 5/05?

busarider29

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have a SLC 5/05 and I am having difficulties establishing comms to it via RS232. I have a 1747-UIC USB to RS232/DH485 converter that I am using. Comm port on my laptop is COM-9 and I have verified in Device Manager and RSLinx (configure drivers). The "USB" and "OK" led's on the 1747-UIC are lit up solid green. I clicked the "Auto Configuration" button and it does its thing and comes back with "Auto Configuration Successful!".

These are the settings that are set after the Auto configuration completes:

Comm port: COM 9
Device: 1770-KF3/1747-KE
Station Number: 00
Parity: Even
Error Checking: CRC
Stop Bits: 1
Protocol: Full Duplex

I have tried changing the parity and the baud rate with no change in result. Still can't see processor in RSLinx. This is a processor that I received via surplus and I need to configure the IP address for it and dump my program to it.

Any help is appreciated.

Is the com port on the processor configured for DH485?
If it is then you do use the UIC as you are trying already.

If the com port is NOT configured for DH485 then you DO NOT use the UIC and instead just use a USB to Serial converter.

BCS

Is the com port on the processor configured for DH485?
If it is then you do use the UIC as you are trying already.

If the com port is NOT configured for DH485 then you DO NOT use the UIC and instead just use a USB to Serial converter.

BCS

I do not know what the processor is configured for as far as RS232 or DH485. Is there a way to configure it for either without communicating to it first via RSLinx? I have a serial port on my laptop. Could I use a null modem cable and go from my serial port on my laptop to the RS232 port of the processor? I do not have a USB to Serial converter. I suppose I could check with our IT department and see if they have one. All I have is the 1747-UIC, an AB 2711-NC13 serial cable, and a generic null modem cable.

If you have a real serial port on you laptop then yes I would give that a try using the RS232 DF1 Devices Driver in RSLinx and see if it will connect that way.

I am pretty sure the null modem will work, but would have to look it up to be sure.

EDIT: If you use the real serial port on your laptop it will probably be com 1.

BCS

Last edited:
Comm port: COM 9
Device: 1770-KF3/1747-KE
Station Number: 00

If you are using a UIC the driver type should show as AB_UIC-1 by default, not a K card.

Plus while communicating the UIC's OK light flickers quickly.

For the ultimate test can you connect to the Ethernet port of the 5/05 using a crossover cable or switch? Then you can check the channel configuration of the DB-9 port.

And if you try to connect via the serial port using DF-1 driver as Bering C Sparky suggested a standard DB-9 null modem cable is exactly what you would use.

Last edited:
I think the default setting on ch 0 (9 pin din)on the 5/05 is RS232
you also need a NULL cable between the computer and SLC 5/05
if us use boot IP you can use the Ethernet port you may have to use a cross over cable to connect directly between SLC and the PC

The SLC5/05’s serial port (channel 0) defaults to DF1 Full Duplex, 19.2Kbaud, 8 data bits, No Parity & 1 stop bit. Your best option is the native serial port on the laptop and while it might be Comm 1, if the laptop has a built in dial up modem then it could be Comm 1. Use your device manager to find out what the port is (Comm 1, Comm 2, etc…). You will need a null adaptor to go from the laptop’s serial port to the channel 0 port on the SLC and for that matter even with a USB to Serial adaptor you’re going to need a null adaptor. Having said that, typically if the two serial ports you need to connect to each other have the same gender then you will need to put a null adaptor between them.
What I would do is to first confirm what comm number the native serial port on the PC is and setup RSLinx with a DF1 Full Duplex driver using that port. Connect the PC to the SLC via a null connection (cable and adaptor or a null cable) and try the “Auto-Configure” feature. If it finds the SLC then you should be done. If not, and you can do with knowing you’ll lose all of the programming, default the processor (power down, pull the processor from the rack, pull the battery, dump the capacitor (touch the two leads that stick through the board for the capacitor that’s next to the battery), reconnect the battery, put the processor back in the rack and re-apply power). Once it’s defaulted you should be able to connect using DF1 Full Duplex. If you can’t connect and can’t afford to lose the program that’s in the PLC then you’re going to need to figure out what the IP address is and connect that way.

Do you have the offline program? If so post it here and soeone can take a look at how the comm ports are set up or you can. Zip the .rss file and post it.

Thanks for all the helpful feedback. Will give it a go this AM.

No, I do not have a copy of the program on the PLC. The program on the PLC, if there is one, I am not concerned with as far as losing it. This processor was purchased via surplus for a project I have so we would not have an offline copy of it.

Will give it a go and post back here either way (fail or success).

Thanks.

The SLC5/05’s serial port (channel 0) defaults to DF1 Full Duplex, 19.2Kbaud, 8 data bits, No Parity & 1 stop bit. Your best option is the native serial port on the laptop and while it might be Comm 1, if the laptop has a built in dial up modem then it could be Comm 1. Use your device manager to find out what the port is (Comm 1, Comm 2, etc…). You will need a null adaptor to go from the laptop’s serial port to the channel 0 port on the SLC and for that matter even with a USB to Serial adaptor you’re going to need a null adaptor. Having said that, typically if the two serial ports you need to connect to each other have the same gender then you will need to put a null adaptor between them.
What I would do is to first confirm what comm number the native serial port on the PC is and setup RSLinx with a DF1 Full Duplex driver using that port. Connect the PC to the SLC via a null connection (cable and adaptor or a null cable) and try the “Auto-Configure” feature. If it finds the SLC then you should be done. If not, and you can do with knowing you’ll lose all of the programming, default the processor (power down, pull the processor from the rack, pull the battery, dump the capacitor (touch the two leads that stick through the board for the capacitor that’s next to the battery), reconnect the battery, put the processor back in the rack and re-apply power). Once it’s defaulted you should be able to connect using DF1 Full Duplex. If you can’t connect and can’t afford to lose the program that’s in the PLC then you’re going to need to figure out what the IP address is and connect that way.

Thanks, worked like a charm! As instructed, I removed the processor from the rack, removed the battery from the processor, shorted both leads of the cap. Put battery back, re-installed processor and powered back up. Used the null cable that I had with a gender changer on one end and was able to see the processor after selecting "Auto configure" under the DF1 driver.

I will note that before doing all that, I had IT update my RSLinx to 3.73 from 2.56 that they originally had re-installed. I don't think that was causing a problem but I do know that my 1784-U2DHP cable was not working yesterday when I was required to go online with another machine and I found out from searching this forum that I required at least 2.57 in order for the 1784 cable to work.

Anyway, all good now. Thanks to all for the help.

Glad to hear you got it running (happy to help). More importantly, THANK YOU for posting a follow up. More often than not people don't do that so we don't know what the fix was and without that others can't learn as much as possible so again, thank you.