Needing help on a enable / disable control

GLe

Appreciate any help here. My design ( with help here on this site) is for a vertically operating gate. Up ( opened) and down (closed).
Limit switches are the inputs for the gate's up and down positions.
A keypad or manual key switch is used for initiating the opening.
Once the gate has reached it's highest point, it times out and closes.
Should a vehicle pass through this opening while the gate is closing a photosensor reverses and opens the gate. Once completed it times out and closes.
To exit the property their is an underground driveway sensor that initiates the opening.
NOW what I'm having a difficult time in trying to figure or what I should do is with rung 4. The limit switches are out in the open, if while the gate is closed it is possible that by manual manipulation X005 could be moved and the gate would open.
I was trying to come up with something as to DISABLE T2 ( or it's function ) once the gate has closed until a valid "open" initiate has been made. PHEWW a mouthful.

Last edited:
I guess I don't have the software to see your code but lets see if I can take a WAG at a solution to your problem.

When you say XOO5 I am assuming that this is one of your limit switches. Cant see your code so not sure how you have this affecting the process.

One way to fix it regardless would be to create a bit that gets "LATCHED" when you enter the correct code, insert and turn the key or a car is on the under ground driveway sensor.
(a "Valid Open Signal" has been initiated )

Then make this latch bit be one of the instruction variables that must be TRUE in order for the Opener Motor Output to become True.

When the gate reaches the "Closed Position Limit Switch" again then have that input "Unlatch" the Latched Bit.

Hopefully I explained that in a way you can follow along, if not let me know and I can show you in Ladder form.

BCS

I don't have click software, so I am unable to open your file.

I know that it is free, but I have just never had a use for it so I don't install it on my PC.

Anyway...did you get the idea of what I was saying with the Latch and Unlatch bit?

If not I can make up an example in Logix500 to show you if needed.

This is a little more involved than a set/ reset.

If you say so, your post said you were just looking for a way that someone could not manipulate your limit switch and make your motor work.
The latch and unlatch I spoke of will do this if implemented in the ladder correctly.

BCS

Last edited:
This sounds like an application for which I would draw up a little state engine chart and translate that into ladder.

The Click PLC does have a drum instruction - which would simplify the program logic.

YMMV

the key and the underground sensor are the same, so they will start to open the gate.
if gate is opened and the timer is ended and the photo is on start going close else go open.
if any sensor is active while gate not closed then open and reset timer.

Since Lancie started this with you, I will try to uphold his same good will.

(You see Lancie we need you back buddy, come on out of retirement and back to the forum) :(

I got a little time last night to sit and write the logic for your gate the way I was explaining using a "Gate Authorized to Run" Latch and Unlatch bit.
(You will see this bit "Latch" on rung 0 and "Unlatch" on rung 8 and a N/O contact of this bit is used on every rung of the program, that way if gate is not authorized to run then you can play with the limit switches all you want and they are not going to change anything.)

(If I get some time later I would like to try this in the format that OkiePC posted earlier, that looks pretty slick)

I wrote this on Allen Bradley Logix500 because this is the software I am accustom to using and it saved me the time trying to figure out how to use Click Software.

I did however download the click software so I could look at what you were trying to do.
I have my A.B. instructions, with Click tags on them so it will be easy for you to follow.
My instructions and rungs are also all commented so it is very readable and easy to follow the logic.

You can download A.B. Micro Starter Lite from this link to see my program:

http://www.rockwellautomation.com/global/support/plc/micrologix.page

Or if you ask nicely I am sure someone here will convert this to a PDF for you.
(Or if a member could go ahead and do this so others in the future could see it that would be great, thanks)

If you do try to use this, please start over with a new project in Click and then copy what I have over rung for rung as most of my instructions match yours but there are some things you did not have that I do.
So a clean slate will work better than trying to smash the two together.
(Be sure to double check that all your physical I/O matches the program before running it)

The only thing I might add to this is Maximum Travel Up and Down Timers around the Up and Down Outputs.
That way if you have a limit switch fail your motor will not continue to try to run endlessly.
You can have this logic turn off the motor and set a fault alarm using you warning light.

Regards,

BCS

Last edited:
BCS, Friend I will check this out gladly. So many ways to skin a cat they say. LOL WOW a marine electrician. That must be a unique vocation. I've been an electrician for 39 years. Assoc in Elec degree from way back LOL. RTL, TTL and such. MOSFET's and CMOS were just happening.
Anyways I feel comfortable with RLL. I've never designed using drum,registers,counters or the like. I generally make a "truth table" of I/O.

BTW I fish a lot . Fished Costa Rica recently Pacific side and had a blast. Caught a BLACK MARLIN!
Having machinist skills I've been actively gunsmithing for about 30 years as well.
Back to electrical.
Will check it out and thanks abunch for your time!

Having machinist skills I've been actively gunsmithing for about 30 years as well.

Nice, this is a skill I could have just used.
Took in 9 of my old shotguns and rifles to have them taken down and refinished.
Cost a pretty penny but it was well worth it, when I got them back they look better than new. (and most are very old, handed down one generation to the next)

I have been in the electrical trade since '86 so coming up on 30 years.
No degree or formal education though, just "School of Hard Knocks"

Take it easy,

BCS

BTW I fish a lot . Fished Costa Rica recently Pacific side and had a blast. Caught a BLACK MARLIN!

Bet you never caught anything this big.

While we run one of the cleanest, most sustainable fisheries in the World, unfortunately every once in a while something you were not targeting will end up in the net. (This is one of those cases)

With the advanced electronics we have onboard ,we can normally pinpoint and catch only our targeted species over 97% of the time which is unbelievably good compared to most fisheries around the world.

We have government observers onboard all of our vessels working round the clock to insure that we are as friendly a steward to the ocean as possible.

I have been here 8 years and this is the first time I have seen anything this large caught before.
(with the exception of a rotting whale carcass one time, man was that stinky)

SHARK PIC 4.jpg

Geez!

What in the **** fish was that? Ugly too! Once had a big blue marlin chasing a 12" diameter teaser that was smoking up the water. Grabbed it and broke the outrigger ! A big marlin. Nothing like your big ugly though Lol