solenoid

mavrick

I am new to plc and have a question. I'm currently using a level transmitter to control water level in a tank. when the level gets low it sends an output to the controller and tells the solenoid to open and allows water to start filling the tank. while trouble shooting this solenoid I was reading the voltage on it and noticed that I was on the com to ground and the power wire when I checked them to ground but when connected to the solenoid it would not open, This does not make sense how I can have voltage on each wire to ground.

What is the solenoid voltage, is it AC or DC?
What type of PLC and output type (relay, triac?)
Is there a ground reference for the power source?
If 24 vdc is one side of the power source grounded?

Is it an AC or DC solenoid and how much voltage is there at each terminal to ground?
Is the 'common' of your power source grounded?

24 volts dc and for the common I was under the impression that it was landed on a terminal strip that was fed from the 24v dc transformer . I did not confirm , but now that you mentioned this what I was thinking does not make sense. the ground I checked it to was the raceway.

plc type is contrlogix as far as the output , I'm not certain what a triac output is.

It is the kind that is not relay type, it is solid state.
With solid state outputs you will see voltage present even when the output is OFF.

How much voltage do you measure to ground on each of the solenoid terminals.

And when you measure this voltage you say you get 0 volts between the two terminals?

How about when the solenoid IS energized, what do you measure to ground from each terminal then?

BCS

If a triac output is off and connected to a load, you may read zero since the leakage current is very low, the load can "pull down" the voltage measured to very near zero. And if the load requirement is (and should be) much greater than the leakage current, the connected device will not operate. Now if you go and disconnect the wiring, surprise, the leakage current available at the triac output will cause the voltage to "reappear".

I get 22 volts dc between the the two wires feeding the solenoid and 22 volts to ground on each. when energized I am not sure I did not check the voltage after it began working. I did leave out in important piece of info, after investing the touch screen pedestal I noticed the programmer recently added an option where you could control the solenoid by hand or auto. The reason the transmitter would not turn on the solenoid at time is because it was put in hand and was turned off. I'm sorry for the confusing questions as stated earlier I'm a novice at best to controls and not yet great with the correct verbiage.