5/04 message error

ged

Hello, I have a 5/04 error message - IP address not found. The target device is a Compactlogix processor connected via a remote DHRIO to ethernet bridge. The Compactlogix processor has since replaced a 5/05. The comms was working before so because of this, I think the RSLinx config for the DHRIO and ethernet card should not need to change. The data type and size in both configurations is the same. An array of 10 integers. The SLC mapping has been setup in the 5000 developer with the data table number from the SLC and the tag name in the compactlogix program. The tag is in the controller tag database. I am not sure what needs to change to get the message to work. Any ideas would be appreciated. Regards ged

I will leave this for someone with more experience to tackle for you, but I will point out a couple of things that may have bearing on you problem and/or your solution.

1) You posted this in the practice posting area, not the main forum. You may want to post this again in the main forum so it will get more exposure.

2) Is the IP address of the 5/05 that was removed and the new Compactlogix Processor the same?

3) More than likely you will need to change the configuration of how the message instructions are routed between the two devices.
Since you have installed a new/different platform it will probably require a different routing configuration from the one you removed.

BCS

Last edited:
Thanks and yes the IP address is the same. I amended the configuration of the data type and size being mapped on both sides plus I configured the SLC mapping in the CompactLogix program referencing the SLC file number and the ControlLogix tag. As far as the config of the DHRIO routing table is concerned, it is already setup from the previous setup. I can't see why this part of the configuration should change. Worst case, I may have to flip it around and create the MSG instructions in the ControlLogix program but I want to avoid this if possible. Regards ged

The tricky part is the Gateway configuration in the 1756-DHRIO.

From the SLC-5/04's perspective, this is a Remote DH+ message. That means that you need to provide more than just a target Node number; you also need to provide a Local Link, a Remote Link, and a Remote Node number.

The 1756-DHRIO takes that remote addressing information and uses it to emulate a remote DH+ message. Instead of actually sending the message over a remote DH+ network, it uses the same Link ID and Remote Node information to send a CIP message over EtherNet/IP.

I don't know for sure if the device identity matters in the 1756-DHRIO's gateway configuration. It might check to see if the target device is really an SLC-5/05, instead of simply sending it an SLC style message.

If your CompactLogix isn't a new "5370" series, you might need to reconfigure the DHRIO's gateway to behave like there's a ControlLogix with a CPU in Slot 0, rather than letting it think there's just an SLC-5/05 at that IP address. The "CPU in Slot 0" is how you have to address CIP messages to the popular 1769-L32E and -L35E generation of CompactLogix.

I was never good enough with DHRIO gateway configuration to do it from memory, and don't have a DHRIO in my shop to test on.

If you can open up the configuration and post some screenshots, we could do some collective head-scratching over the problem.

message info attached

Thanks and yes I have rechecked the configuration. It seems to all line up ok.
See attachment for detail. The local bridge address in the msg setup is referenced in the Channel config of the DHRIO, the remote bridge address is 0 based on notes from the message help file, remote stn address is referenced in the routing table of the enet LinkID, the remote link bridge is referenced by the Link ID of the target IP address. So this looks all good. I tried changing the target device to a PLC5 - no luck. Please note, this config works with a 5/05.
Anyway, there may be something that I am not seeing. Thanks and regards ged

Yes and thanks, I figured it out based on searching the forum and found a tech note. For the record, the Remote Station number needed to be 0. The IP address was then configured. This was not referenced in the manual or at least I could not find it. Regards