GE Machine Edition and QP+ communicating with a PC or OPC server.

LesleyD

Hi, I'm new to ME and QP+ and have what are probably some basic questions about communicating between a PC and an HMI.
I am running ME version 8.5 on Windows 7, and have a QuickPanel+.
I'm trying to make a connection between the PC and the QP+ to access data, either in a SQL Server database or using an OPC server, or if there is another method to do a similar thing.
I believe to connect to a database I need Windows PC Logic Developer which I don't have, so have been trying the OPC server route, with no success.
I've tried creating a U-CON OPC channel and device to connect to the built-in OPC GEIP.ProficyViewIntegratedOPCDrive.V5. I get so far, creating and importing tags into ME, but cannot access the data in the tags, using the variables in ME.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.
Thanks, Lesley

I'm trying to make a connection between the PC and the QP+ to access data, either in a SQL Server database or using an OPC server, or if there is another method to do a similar thing.

The QP+ is not designed for this so it may not be as easy as it looks or even documented very well. However the QP+ is capable of being an OPC Client or server so that option is there.
The most efficient way of collecting data with the QP+ is by using the GE-IP Proficy Historian Software as the QP+ is by nature an Historian Collector.
Proficy Historian may not be the 'cheapest' way to go unless one adds software development time in the cost of ownership but it is by far the most efficient, fastest and easiest way to collect data into a PC via a QP+.

IMHO, If you really want to do PC Data collection other than Proficy Historian <AND> HMI it makes more sense to use a PC for the HMI, such as the PME View PC instead of the QP+.

GE Machine Edition and QP+ connecting to PC

Thanks for the reply.
I'm taking your advice and trying the demo version of PME View PC to connect directly to my database but am having problems with that!
I've set up an ODBC driver to connect to the SQL Server database which works outside of PME.
I have a target of a PC and a QP+ and using the ViewScript SQL commands to connect to the database and select data.
The project builds OK but when I try to download and start, View Runtime seems to hang up, with fxNetworkIsActive acquired and RuntimeIsActive acquired processes running.
I tried with a project with just a PC but the same thing happens.
I'm probably missing something simple, but any help, again, would be gratefully received.

Lesley