Plc 5

GregPLC

I have a PLC 5/30 and a PLC 5/25 which I want to get onto Ethernet. The PLC 5/30 is a candidate for the 1785-ENET bolt on module. It's not feasible however because that module occupies slot #1, and the rack is full. Our only other option is to upgrade to a PLC 5/40E, which is very expensive.

The PLC 5/25, is not compatible with the 1785-ENET module. Does anyone know of a third party product to accomplish getting either of these processors onto Ethernet via their comm. ports? We don't want to do control over it, we just want it for data collection purposes. I did some Google searching without much luck, and searched some on this site.

TIA,

Greg

You can build an EtherNet/IP to DH+ bridge by putting a 1756-ENBT and 1756-DHRIO module in a ControlLogix chassis. This will allow you access to both Classic and Enhanced PLC-5's via DH+. RSLinx will be able to "drill down" to the PLC-5 controllers from anywhere on the IP network.

That's probably the fastest and simplest way to get Ethernet access to both of those PLC-5's.

You could also use a 1761-NET-ENI module (or a commercially available RS232/Ethernet adapter with special software) to connect to the PLC-5/30's RS232 serial port. The connection will be slow, but workable for data collection. The PLC-5/25 has only a DH+ port so that won't be a candidate for that method.

Last edited:
Greg,

take a look at this:

link to Pro-Soft ... an AB partner website

I've never worked with one of these but it looks promising ... just be SURE that it's compatible with your PLC-5/25 before you buy ...

have you checked with your AB distributor about your project? ... sometimes you can "trade up" a processor for less money than buying one on ebay ... the price depends on what model and revision you have on hand ... if the regular "sales" people can't help you, ask for the "repair" guys ... larger distributors can usually come up with a quote for you without too much trouble ...

as for the "full rack" problem ... what is it "full" of? ... have you considered taking out two "single density" I/O modules and replacing them with one "double density" type? ... maybe that will buy you a little bit of slack ...

PS edit ... Ken made his post while I was typing mine up ... I'd suggest that you go along with whatever he comes up with ... he's usually "the man" for this type of question ...

Last edited:
Thanks a lot Ken and Ron. I have the NET-ENI module installed in the panel, and connected to the PLC 5/30. I have a program in the NET-ENI module, and can see it in RSLinx. It's unfortuneately the end of the day, and my wife would kill me if I stayed a few hours late to complete this :) Do I need to have my IP address in the routing table for the PLC5 or only if it's performing passthrough communications?

Thanks again,

Greg

I was looking for similar combination and Ken's solution is the one we offered to the customer.

It is much cheaper than replacing processor or adding sidecar.
Don't forget that most likely you will need processor firmware upgrade to use sidecar card.

Most people getting scared when hear "CONTROLLOGIX".
Keep in mind you don't need CLX processor and RSLogix5K/RSNETWORX software to do bridge.
You need 4 parts: Power supply, A4 rack, ENBT and DHRIO.
All configuration will be done via RSLINX.

Tech Note

Thanks again for everyone's help, I think I will try the bridge with the control logix parts for the PLC 5/25. Does anyone know of or have a tech note on using the control logix components to create the bridge? I kinda rummaged through AB's website, and didn't see anything.

Thanks again,

Greg