Altivar 61 with Temperature Controller, 4-20mA Output

donhamon

I have an altivar 61 VFD with a temperature transmitter and controller, the brand of temp controller is Delta DTB48. Our problem is that the altivar 61 analog input (AI2) and COM doesnt read 4-20mA output from the controller. But when we measure the controller's output with an amp meter we can get a reading of 4-20mA. We already verify the terminals on the Altivar (AI2 & COM) is ok and is able to measure 4-20mA. Kindly help me guys with this one... By the way 4-20mA is not a loop powered signal.

Thanks in advance!!! 🍻

Last edited:
Are you trying to control the speed reference of the drive with AI2?

I am not familiar with the altivar drives but have a look at this.

Depending on what macro you have selected AI2 will be designated for specific function or for No function at all.

If you are trying to use AI for speed reference then it looks like AI1 is the way to go for that.

Let us know if this is not your problem.

Edit: I just noticed that the manual I was reading from is for Altivar 61 controllers 125hp to 900 hp.
Chances are you are using something smaller than this and it may different from what I have posted below.

Altivar 61 macro.jpg

Last edited:
Nope looks like the manual for 1 - 100 hp has the same table in it also.
So depending on what you are trying to do and what macro you are running, you may find the answer to your question here.

BCS

Altivar 61 macro.jpg

Thanks for helping, but i'm just using small ATV61. In macro i am using Start/Stop, and i set AI2 to ref.1 channel. The status on the display is Term.

I don't know why the frequency output of ATV61 is always 60Hz whenever and whatever value i input to it... that's the problem i am facing now...

I don't know why the frequency output of ATV61 is always 60Hz whenever and whatever value i input to it... that's the problem i am facing now...

If you can, please download the setting and share with us. (use SoMove schneider software (it's free), you need a usb-RS485 or serial-RS485 converter to do it).

When you have a 4-20mA output going into a 4-20mA input, you must know if both are active, passive or one is passive and the other is active. I think this is your problem. If you search this forum, you will find many posts on the subject.

Last edited:
When you have a 4-20mA output going into a 4-20mA input, you must know if both are active, passive or one is passive and the other is active. I think this is your problem. If you search this forum, you will find many posts on the subject.

Yes i know. AI2 & COM are passive then the temperature controller is active. By the way... the brand of the controller is Delta model DTB4848. Anyone familiar w/ this brand?

Are you sure the controller output is Active??
If not (passive), you must power to loop with an external 24VDC supply.
I think this is your problem.