B&R development cycle

twocozz

We have been using Mitsubishi as our standard automation supplier for over 20 years now. We still get to develop on all the other major platforms (as customers often define their own preferred vendor that we must adhere to) so we have a reasonable idea of what's out there. However, to cut a long story short we are thinking of changing from Mitsubishi and one option we are looking at is B&R. There is a lot of technology to like here - however one concern we have is the actual development time. From changing code to actually testing it in the PLC seems much longer than on other platforms (and I know some would say get a quicker machine but we are using i7's with SSD's). It feels more like using Visual Studio on an old machine with all the compiling going on. We don't do anything complicated and code just about everything in as standard ST as possible (for easy conversion to other PLC's) so we would not use anything too PLC specific (MAPP etc).

I would appreciate if anybody could give their own experience on this. How have you found (speed wise) developing using Automation Studio compared to other vendors?

cheers

Automation Studio only compiles things that changed unless you are doing build all instead of just transfer or build by mistake.

I can only directly compare it with SoMachineMotion and Studio 5000 and compile/transfer is faster for B&R for me unless I change something in the HMI. Actually, if you compare creating a new variable and mapping it to the HMI and transferring both code and HMI, B&R is many times faster since it is one programming environment and one transfer.