Software method Sysmac vs Simatic

Resurgance

Hi there,
I have been using CxOne and Sysmac studio, and have a small job coming up using TIA portal V12. I was wondering if you could outline the basic order of tasks with Siemens compared with what I know in Omron? For example in Omron, I plug into CPU with ethernet, plug all my EtherCAT bits in, syncronize hardware, define nodes, create Global or real I/O tags, then pretty much write code. With Siemens it seems not so straightforward - I will ultimately be using a cpu313c - but I borrowed a 314c- dp2 and can see it via MPI, but cannot write anything into it, or read from it. does this need an MMC to go any further? Is the 314c and older model to the 313c?
Thanks

Good luck! Siemens is very different - get used to bytes instead of words and the like. Have not been there for about 8 years thankfully. You will certainly appreciate the ease of CX-P - I will not even go to Studio to be honest - too hard after CX-P. I struggled for weeks with Siemens then - I am sure it has changed.

Thanks for the repy Bob, yeah CxP is refined for sure that until recently was my mainstay - I have only just started on Studio after wanting to integrate safety over ethercat, and I didnt find it too bad. I have the latest version, there are still plenty of small improvements that I think could be made, but on the whole it was quite a breeze to use. I thouroughly enjoyed using variables and dealing with analogues and values in general was a breeze. Actually apart from some issues working with the lines themselves in ladder I have zero complaints about studio! Well. am still keen to know about the cpu313c and cpu314c and their complatibility with TIA portal I have V12 - I didnt seem to have much luck with getting anything to write to the 314c - although I did find some literature mentioning that one needed a Siemens MMC to do anything. would be great to get some clarification. Thanks!

Yes, to do something with your CPU MMC is necessary.
Difference between 314c and 313c is in technical characteristics.
Higher last number indicates more powerful CPU.
Never worked with omron, but
configuration in TIA portal is not that different from what you mentioned, basically if you have you hardware configured you can start writing your program.

I wondered wether Sysmac studio was actually inspired by TIA when I first used Sysmac Studio. The layout & concepts are similar in both packages. CX Programmer is the odd one out in this case.