Modbus Simulator

edward.ortiz

Hello, I am working with a Direct Logic PLC. I have created logic that will set the PLC as a master and is reading information from a slave unit. I have an old modbus simulator that i tried using to simulate reading from a slave. Is there any good modbus simulators that anyone recommends?

I downloaded Modbus Poll from Modbustools.com and really like it. It is free for awhile but after I used it a few times I went ahead and purchased the licenses.

CAS Modbus Scanner is completely free and works well enough as a slave simulator:

http://www.chipkin.com/products/software/modbus-software/cas-modbus-scanner/

I do find modscan32 by WinTECH more reliable, but it requires purchasing. You can use it free for the first 30 days as a trial, but for trial versions it stops showing data after 3 minutes have passed.

Funnily enough, you can actually get around that limitation by using Wireshark to monitor your Modbus packets, since the trial version doesn't actually kill the Modbus connection, it just stops updating the data display.

http://www.win-tech.com/html/modsim32.htm