Need Help with Route Path for a PLC-5/80

nomis08

Hi Guys,
I am having a hard time setting up the route path.

Devices been used: PLC-5/80 Node 24 Channel A
Backplane 1756-A4/4
DH+
1756-DHRI0/C, AN-X2-ABDHP

Any help is appreciated. :)

Thanks.

Welcome to the forum!

Help us help you. Where are you trying to set up this route path and what for? If it's a MSG in the PLC 5, for example, it'll be different than a MSG in the Logix processor. I'm not sure where the PCCC protocol comes into play.

Standing by for further information...

Thank you for welcoming to the forum. Sorry for been vague on the first post. I am using rslogix 5 to connect to the plc-5/80. I don't have a problem with that. I am trying to connect the Plc to an OASYS SCADA system via an ethernet connection to poll data from it. In the remote status I keep getting an illegal message. This is where PCCC protocol comes in to play. The route path is required for the scada system to see the PLC . This is where I think I am having the problem.

Thanks

So the "route path" is a configuration field somewhere in your SCADA software communication setup, and the path is from Ethernet to the DH+ network via the AN-X bridge.

Have you tested to be sure that RSLinx Classic can browse through the AN-X to the DH+ network ?

Is the OASyS SCADA system using an OPC driver like RSLinx Classic, or does it have its own driver ?

It's entirely possible that a PCCC-only driver that was designed for the old A-B Ethernet protocol won't work with the AN-X.

A quick glossary of some of the terms:

PCCC stands for Programmable Controller Communication Commands. It's the command set that PLC-2/3/5 and SLC-500 and MicroLogix controllers use. For HMI/SCADA purposes, these are usually commands like "Read N10:0, Length 100". PCCC commands always use some form of the old-fashioned PLC/SLC data table addressing.

CSPv4 is the Allen-Bradley Client-Server Protocol. This is the original Ethernet protocol used by the PLC-5E and the SLC-5/05 and the old Pyramid Integrator systems. Frequently referred to as "A-B Ethernet". The RSLinx Classic "Ethernet Devices" driver can use this protocol. It is always used with PCCC commands. There are no ControlLogix products that support this protocol.

EtherNet/IP (TM) is the trade name for Rockwell Automation's Control and Information Protocol (CIP) over Ethernet. This is the protocol used by ControlLogix. It can transport both PCCC commands and native CIP object and service commands like "ControlLogix Tag Read". PLC-5E and SLC-5/05 controllers built in the past ten years or so can handle both CSPv4 and EtherNet/IP, but only for the purpose of sending and receiving PCCC commands. The "EtherNet/IP" driver in RSLinx Classic uses this protocol exclusively.

My brief reading of the AN-X user manual suggests that it emulates a ControlLogix 1756-ENBT and 1756-DHRIO module, so it very likely uses only EtherNet/IP protocol. It should be able to process both PLC-5 style PCCC and ControlLogix style Tag Read/Write commands.