hi ! I am to PLC..but I want to learn so much!!

bluesman70

Hi there!..

I am new to PLC ..well I had it like 10 years old and I loved it then and I still love it..I want to get into it again.I got the PLC Tutor book and Iam reading it alot..However I want to get into Allen Bradley PLC's.I want to get the PLC-5 and hook it up to my computer and start programming it..can someone help me on starting on this?. I mean slowly..where do I buy a PLC 5?..what software do I need? and cable?.well I have quite a few questions..ok.its good to have found this site..talk to you guys soon..

Soren

The PLC-5 platform is an older design, and quite large and expensive. If you want to start playing with A-B PLCs take a look at the MicroLogix 1000 starter kit. Very inexpensive, and you can get a good understanding of basics with it. Check your distributor or the Allen Bradley web site.

Thanks tom!

Hi Tom..and everybody out there.

Thanks so much for your input..I will look into that.I have found a Allen Bradley PLC I really want to get into and I was hoping that you or someone else could help me on finding as much documentation on it.The AB PLC is called SLC5/04.I would like to find the user manuel and on how to program it and any thing else I can get my hands on to about the SLC5/04.ok thanks again tom.

Soren

Lots of opportunity here!

I would like to find the user manuel and on how to program it and any thing else I can get my hands on to about the SLC5/04

AB manuals online is the place to start.

You will need an I/O rack, power supply, an input and an output module would not be a bad idea. Oh, and of course you will need to get the RSLogix software to program the thing. Lots of surprises and opportunities await you in your quest.

Good luck, this is the best place to get help, but you will have a lot to do on your own as well.

World supply center

I really hate to say this, but try Ebay. I have been able to almost duplicate all of the automated system programs for about 1/50 the cost. this includes software except user rights. This cost me on some of the systems. But back to my point you can find just about any thing on ebay to include full SLC05/04, rack, i/o and power supply.
And the great thing is you can get it all for less than 300 clams. Talk to a Allen bradely rep and see if he can beat that price?