remote operation of Powerflex via a PC

JasonV

Just pulled my first AB Powerflex 525 Drive out of the box and set up the IP address using Connected Components Workbench. My goal is to be able to control the motor drive via ethernet using just my PC. I'd prefer to turn the motor on/off and set the freq with a GUI, if not then a PERL script could do.

My research has failed to point me in a good direction. (Maybe because I'm new to the PLC world and am not using the right terms or searching in the wrong places.) Rockwell info seems to point me into buying more products (like HMI terminals), but I just want to use my current lab computer. Any suggestions on examples of this being done or references?

Thanks,

Jason

There are a couple of ways to do this depending on how much work you want to do and/or how much money you want to spend. Having said that either way (more work, less money / less work, more money) you’re going to have to do some programming.
You could buy HMI software. There is a lot of it out there including Factory Talk View which is Rockwell’s offering (which can be expensive). Another popular offering is WonderWare but I’m not sure what the price point on that is.
The other way to go is to go with “Advanced HMI” which is a freeware package but you have to create the HMI using application using Visual Basic. Basically (pardon the pun) you will be creating a software HMI application with embedded drivers to communicate with the PLC/PAC or in this case the drive. I have to add here that I believe this will work with a PowerFlex 525 drive but I don’t know that for sure (I’ve never done it). I do know that it will interface with a whole host of PLC/PAC’s. Worst case you could add a MicroLogix 1100 and have the HMI control the 1100 and the 1100 would control the drive. Anyway I have worked with Advanced HMI and I was able to make it work. I by no means am a software programmer so if I can do it, most others (well a lot others) can do it.
Here is a good video tutorial on Advanced HMI.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-E8NlUNiX4

Firejo, thanks for the reply. Advanced HMI looks like a good product and may work if there is not a driver issue. The AB comm drivers are written for controllers (ControlLogix/CompactLogix/Micro800) and it is a question on if the drive supports the same commands. It seems much more common to have some sort of controller (PLC/PAC) that is an intermediary for the motor drive--that is the automation world. In comparison, my application seems odd in having a human operate the motor, but mine is more of a laboratory application.

Alan, it seemed like CCW was mainly to configure the drive (and program HMI hardware), I'll look again at seeing if I can remotely operate the drive via CCW. A feature summary of CCW said I can Start/stop control, so I'll keep looking. Also, I'm waiting for the electrician to connect power to the drive, so I have yet to connect via ethernet and I haven't fully tested the capabilities of CCW yet. Thanks for the reply.

Last edited:
Note that there is a major difference between the types of connections used between a SCADA/HMI application and the type of EthernetIP connection used for I/O like hte VFD will expect. I am not saying it cannot be done, but it won't be easy. It would be easier to set up an HMI project and connect to a PLC that can handle the Ethernet implicit (I/O) messaging for you, but if you just want basic start/stop and speed control, using a hard wired and even cheaper PLC would make quick work of the project. Just remember that time is money, and writing PC code to handle the implicit Ethernet IP connections could end up costing a whole lot of it.

Thanks. I saw the control bar in the user manual. It didn't come up in CCW when I connected to the drive via USB. I'm hoping when I power the drive and connect via Ethernet, those options will become available. Yes, I just want on/off and reverse boolean buttons and a scalar speed control. Thanks.

Thanks. I saw the control bar in the user manual. It didn't come up in CCW when I connected to the drive via USB. I'm hoping when I power the drive and connect via Ethernet, those options will become available. Yes, I just want on/off and reverse boolean buttons and a scalar speed control. Thanks.
OK, you appear to be misinterpreting something here.

The USB connection is ONLY for OFF-LINE uploading and downloading a parameter file or flashing the firmware. That is NOT an on-line port! Think about it, how could it be? The USB port is only accessible AFTER you remove the control core from the power core.

The 525 has an Ethernet port. When you connect via the Ethernet port, you have a direct connection to the drive, but the drive must be powered up.

Powered up the Powerflex today, and the Control bar appeared. Thanks for the help. Sorry if I was premature in asking my question.

The Powerflex 525 supports Modbus/RTU, so if you add something like this;
http://www.anybus.com/products/products.asp?PID=110&ProductType=Anybus Communicator

And set up Advanced HMI to use the Modbus TCP driver, that may be a possibility. Unfortunately the 525 doesn't support Modbus TCP directly.
You may also be able to use a USB to RS485 adapter and use the ModbusRTU driver.

I have tested this adapter with different RS485 hardware and the AdvancedHMI ModbusRTU driver:

http://www.automationdirect.com/adc...tion_-a-_Communications_-a-_Software/USB-485M

OK, you appear to be misinterpreting something here.

The USB connection is ONLY for OFF-LINE uploading and downloading a parameter file or flashing the firmware. That is NOT an on-line port! Think about it, how could it be? The USB port is only accessible AFTER you remove the control core from the power core.

The 525 has an Ethernet port. When you connect via the Ethernet port, you have a direct connection to the drive, but the drive must be powered up.

I wish Rockwell had designed this so the USB connection could be used while the central core was in the drive (Like a Controllogix USB Connection) (Serial Replacement) and be used for the offline method like they have it.

Long time lurker, first time poster, please be gentle – and thanks to all for the shared experience and knowledge.

I have a particular interest in this thread and am curious to learn of any updates JasonV may have regarding your outcome and final implementation.
I have a similar project, six motors all operate independently, tied to no other equipment, no interlocks, no PID loops, all operated locally and manually with pushbuttons at the controller panels; four soft starters and two VFD all ABB. No remote control or indication, my assignment is to provide both. How to put this delicately, my operation and maintenance community are not tremendously sophisticated. That may sound like a put down, but it is not intended to be, as a practical matter it places an additional constraint that the system be easy to configure and maintain - field replaceable units must have simple configuration instructions.

The basic guidance, to call them requirements would be gilding the lily, is to provide remote control and indication. When I presented a basic design, the response came back we want all controllers replaced with VFD, you cannot use HOA switches, we must have a way to override remote operation locally (I know, that’s what and HOA switch is for), and we want commands to operate in the manner of a three-way light switch without a formal control location transfer. Sometime later they added that they want all Allen Bradley equipment and a Wonderware user interface. I may be able to get around Wonderware with a Panel View solution.

Additionally, I am a consultant and once the design is completed, I ride off into the sunset; perhaps I’ll be around for installation and commissioning, but not necessarily. I certainly will not be here years from now if/when a component fails. What this means is nothing fancy or subtle. I cannot in good faith require much more than entering nameplate motor data and an IP address on VFD network interfaces.

The network consists of three self-healing fiber rings with Ethernet drops at each controller location. What I would like to do is what JasonV did, deploy AB PowerFlex VFD with Ethernet interface for configuration, control, and indication. In all of the AB illustrations there seems to always be a controller between the HMI and the VFD. In my case that adds a single point vulnerability, some additional configuration, and ladder logic. Nothing outrageous, but not skills the O&M crew have. I realize these controllers are highly reliable components and not likely to fail, but they could and Murphey’s Law etc.

In reviewing the AB VFD Offerings, it seems the PowerFlex 400 Packaged units meet my requirements. I think the line reactor and bypass options are appropriate given the context. For example, if all else fails and the VFD cannot be reconfigured after some unforeseen event, operations can account for the inrush current and shut the bypass contactor to get the motor running. To be specific, here is what I come up with using the AB configuration tool: 23C-D142E10ENNNANN-LR - PowerFlex 400, Fan & Pump Drive. 480 VAC, 3 PH. 124 Amps. 100 HP. Type 4. Fixed Keypad. Ethernet. 3 Contactor Full Feature Bypass with Circuit Breaker.

So a central and secondary control station each with UPS, Wonderware, or possibly Panel View, and six network dropped connections to PowerFlex 400 VFD. This seems like as simple a solution as possible. One problem that I have is there is nobody here with the expertise and experience to review or discuss the design and tradeoffs, so I encourage your opinions and suggestions.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Just a quick update on this subject and AdvancedHMI. As of version 3.99r the ability to access Ethernet/IP attributes without going through a PLC is now possible. It is the equivalent of using MSG instructions in the PLC to perform explicit messages. With the current version, this capability can only be done with some VB code writing. It by no means is easy if you are not familiar with CIP objects. In the words directly from the Powerflex manual:

"Controlling I/O with explicit messages is relatively complex compared to normal implicit I/O control."

If anyone is interested in trying this out, here is a walkthrough giving an example of reading the identity attribute:

http://advancedhmi.com/documentatio...ng_the_CIP_Identity_of_any_Ethernet/IP_device