writing to bits in crimson 2.0

Handcraftedsince87

Lifetime Supporting Member
Good morning all,
I have a question that I can't seem to get a direct answer to in regards to writing HMI programs in crimson 2/3. I'm trying to learn HMI programming and have been able to successfully map flags to binary bits (b3:0/10 for example) I've created in RSlogix 500, but can't seem to be able to write directly to inputs.
Two questions, one, is it even possible to write directly to inputs and outputs? And is the addressing correct in that it would be I000:0001 bit 1 to write to input I:01/1, with the last number in 0001 being the card slot?
And two, what is the standard practice for writing such programs? Is it common to program extra bits into the ladder logic for the sake of cleanliness/functionality?
Also, any other tips from those of you who do this for a living to help nip bad habits and keep the program looking professional and easy for someone else to work on after me would be greatly appreciated. I've poured over the interwebs and user manual but haven't found any info directly related to my situation, and tend to get a little muddled down with all the terminology I'm not quite familiar with. I'm sure its there somewhere, but I've always found this forum to be a wealth of information and would love to hear from the people on it.

Thank you in advance again

You can't write to inputs directly. You should not write to outputs directly. Remember that inputs are being constantly written by the actual input device so even if you could write to them, they will not persist, being constantly overwritten by the real world input card. Some PLC drivers will allow you to choose them, and it is very possible that the PLC will accept them as valid communication packets and may even update the address table accordingly but before you can blink, they get overwritten during the update cycle of the normal PLC scan.

It is a common practice to write only to internal addresses that you choose. It is a good practice to organize all of the stuff in your HMI into a tidy bundle to keep communication efficient, all of them in one or a few data tables by themselves.

If you want to turn on an output with a button on your HMI, write to an internal address like B10:10/00 and then use ladder logic to examine that bit and OTE the actual address of the output device. It can be a problem if you write to the output address directly with the HMI when someone comes along looking at the ladder logic trying to figure out why device "x" won't turn on or off and they find nothing.

I like to comment all my HMI stuff with "From HMI" or "To HMI" or simply "HMI -" at the very beginning of the comment for those addresses. Often, I will mark a whole range of addresses with those comments so as to "reserve" them even before I begin using them.

Last edited: