Very new to PLC

dip

Hey everyone,

I am very new to PLC and was wondering if any of you have advice on how to get started with PLCs. To learn PLC, I suggested buying a PLC itself and start messing around with it using programmable ladder logic (Hands-on experience seems like a necessary step). I come from a programming background already (mostly java) so even though ladder logic is visual instead of code I think it would not be an issue for me. The main issue I would have is the wiring (or anything physical). Any tips?

What is the best PLC for me to buy to get started (Relatively cheap I assume:confused:) ?

A project I had in mind is having a LED 7 segment that displays a quantity of 9 and then lowers down everytime a button is pressed until it reaches 0 and shuts off. Would this be a good project? If so, could you give me links to what I would need to purchase to start this particular project assuming I have nothing.

Hello and Welcome to the Forum,

Here is one way you can get started today.
Below is a link where you can download Allen Bradley RSLogix Micro Starter Lite Software and Emulator Software for FREE.

http://www.rockwellautomation.com/global/support/plc/micrologix.page

You can start getting use to ladder logic and emulate/simulate it running.

Then if you want look around on EBay or your local Rockwell Distributor and pick up a Micrologix 1000 or 1100 Logic Controller.
This same free software will work with both of these controllers.

Have Fun,
BCS

Here is another link for Automation Direct.

http://www.automationdirect.com/adc...oller_Software/CLICK_PLC_Programming_Software

You can download the CLICK PLC programing software for FREE from this site also.
This software is a bit different from the first I linked you too but is also ladder logic.
The Click PLC is pretty inexpensive if you decide you want to pick one up to have as a trainer.

You can also check out this website for Industrial Concepts.

http://www.plccable.com/

They sell ready made trainers and cables and can be a great source for parts and information.

And if you really want to get a crash course with hands on PLC training then check out this link.

http://www.ronbeaufort.com/main_frame_page.htm

Ron has a great course and you learn plenty in just a weeks time.
He also has lots of helpful information on his website and has a whole series of YOUTUBE Videos that will help get you started on the right track.

Also don't forget to click on the "Learn PLCs" tab at the top of this forum page, where you can pick up helpful tips and a CD set to help you learn PLC.

BCS

Last edited:
BCS has given you a good start. My two cents would be:

- Check out thelearningpit.com and their LogixPro simulator. It's very cheap, and does a great job of simulating a real world PLC setup without spending hardly anything. That'll give you a good idea of what you think about PLC programming before you spend too much of your hard earned money on it.

After that, if you're keen to get some real hardware:

- If cost is king, go with Automation Direct. They're some of the cheapest around, but actually have reasonable software (in comparison to many of the other cheap nasty brands)

- If you can afford a little bit more and want to use a more "industry standard" PLC, go for an Allen-Bradley Micrologix 1100 (don't go for the 1000, 1200, or 1500). You'll also need a copy of RSLogix 500. This software is what the LogixPro simulator is based on.

- If you want to invest in a setup that'll give you experience with the most current software, get yourself an Allen-Bradley CompactLogix - the 1769-L16ER-BB1B is the cheapest. You'll also need a copy of RSLogix 5000 Mini. This setup isn't cheap, but RSLogix 5000 (or Studio 5000 as it's becoming known) is industry standard and modern, if you can get your head around that comfortably IMO it'll pay itself back in experience and opportunity.