RSLogix5000 - how to know what I/O is being used - spare ?

leonlai

Hello

In RSLogix5000, I have multiple 1756 backplane with its PLC & I/O Cards, how do I check how many spare or used Input or Ouput !?

Thanks

Hi

One way is goto the controller tags and last say you have a input card in slot 1
It would show up in your tags as local:1:I.data
Right click on the data word and then press go to cross reference
Then goto the base tag and double click to sort them. You can then look through them and this will show you if any one is not in the list they are not used as bits
Be careful and make sure the entire word is not mapped to bits

Donnchadh

Donnchadh,

WHen I go to a specific tag and cross reference, it only show up it specific tag, It does not list out all of unused or spare I/O.

im new in RSLogix 5000, while in RSlogix500, I can go and see which Input are online !

One way would be to go to the cabinet and see what IO you have unused (no field wires landed). This involves going to the cabinet, but it is most likely to be the fastest method.

I feel you pain

Formerly, in logic 500 a simple cross-reference report would show what I/O was used and where.

Now in Logic 5000, and the multitude options of Ethernet/IP, connectivity... that simple report does not exist.

I would pay a third party developer to come up with a utility to look at all configured I/O to see if it was used directly, or via alias. (opportunity)

Or, I will just have to wait for my good friends at RA to add this valued feature.

Regards

There's a round about way that RSLogix5000 will tell you this information. When you are in the ladder editor and double click the tag name, and then drill down to the individual bits, grey ones are in use and white ones are not. It will also tell you if it's being aliased denoted by the *. It also tells you if the whole dint is being used somewhere as well, which can be handy.

tagSelect.jpg

If you select the I/O card in the lefthand pane you can run a cross reference on it, this will show any I/O used.

Steve

I forgot to add you have to select 'by tag' on cross reference screen.

Last edited:
as what Donnchadh said

Cross reference (this was V19)
Scope is Controller
Per Rack Base Name (Local in this example)
Sorted by BaseTag

Must be Show All

IO Used cross reference.jpg

Last edited:
There's a round about way that RSLogix5000 will tell you this information. When you are in the ladder editor and double click the tag name, and then drill down to the individual bits, grey ones are in use and white ones are not. It will also tell you if it's being aliased denoted by the *. It also tells you if the whole dint is being used somewhere as well, which can be handy.

This is fine for I/O but what about other tags? I have an array of Booleans that I use for one shots, and I just want to grab the next one.

Is there any way to know (at the time of entering the instruction) which are used? I've started by putting a description on each one I use as I use it but it relies on doing that.

I can't see any other way.

Any time I use a tag that was already created (bit of a word, array element, etc), I cross-reference it before I assemble. Just add the tag to the instruction, then hit CTRL+E on the keyboard. It's a pretty quick and painless thing to do, it can be painful if you don't and find out later the tag was used twice.

Don't use a BOOL array for this (or, for that matter, anything else. BOOL arrays are the devil). Create a DINT, and then use each individual bit for your oneshots.

I create a DINT called OneShots. The I can use OneShots.0 through OneShots.31. I too put a description on each as I use it (generally just "Used"), but to check which one is the next available, I just enter the ONS with "OneShots" as the tag, then cross reference the tag. I will get a list of every bit used so far, and I can just pick the next available one and append that number to the end.

And welcome to the forum!

Thanks.

I thought I'd tried it, but it seems that ctrl-E actually does work in the middle of entering an instruction so I can actually find which one is free as I go.

Sometimes the most obvious isn't that obvious!!