Wireless HMI Pendant

JRoss

Lifetime Supporting Member
Anybody have any suggestions for a wireless HMI pendant? This would be for machine setup to supplement a fixed HMI, so the wireless HMI doesn't need to be large, just enough to select which of multiple axes is being manually adjusted. PLC is an Allen-Bradley CompactLogix (exact model TBD), and HMI will probably be a Red Lion G3 or Graphite.

Prosoft Technologies has an app that will run on an iPhone or iPad that will connect directly to your CompactLogix. I've used it for simple tasks like this with great results.

I dont have too much experience with your setup, but from a general scheme standpoint:

We have one machine with an Siemens IPC477 controller/HMI. This has a 14" display and runs the main machine runtime and is also the controller, in the background in windows we run a VNC server on a private network in pair with a Samsung tablet using a VNC client app. We can use the tablet to control all functions of the machine.

Works really well, only real limitation is your wifi network range, but I suspect repeaters can supplement that if need be.

I have one customer using VNC on Maple Systems HMI's regularly. They can access all of their 5 HMI's through a wireless router from inside the plant and one of them from outside the network through the internet. They are using both Android and Iphone VNC apps.

Thanks for the feedback. I suggested the tablet route to the customer, and he said no thanks. He wants something more rugged, and considering the plant he's probably right.

The pendant is only going to be used for setup. I could just use a standard crane pendant. The operator would select the axis on the fixed HMI, walk over to the axis and use the pendant to put it at the right spot, then go back to the HMI and select the next axis. I could even use another pendant button to increment. The only reason I wanted an HMI was to make it easier to select an axis, and give feedback as to which axis is selected.

There are some quite rugged PC tablets out there. I don't know exactly how heavy handed your operators are, but you can get something a lot more hard wearing than just an iphone in an otterbox.

I will throw my 2 cents on the table.

Yes there are a a few vendors out there offering wireless mobile HMI pendants but they are not cheap. Last I purchased was in the $2500.00 range. Also they mostly lock you into their HMI software and that may or may not be a problem in your situation.

Here we use IPad's in the case in the link below because it has a hand strap but we like the Otterbox Defender also.

A Basic IPad Air is $399.00 Plus $50.00 for the case which is much cheaper than a mobile HMI which in my opinion is not that much more rugged.

We don't have issues with this setup and I will put my operators up against anyone's in a equipment destruction contest.

We use Thin manager for most of our applications but for a good mobile HMI software we like Groov http://groov.com/

http://www.kensington.com/us/us/v/4...degree-rugged-case-for-ipad-mini#.VdSpOvlVhBc

iPads and tablets get destroyed/stolen in a lot of plants. Then you have to worry about battery life, charging, charging stations, network range (in/out conditions), etc.
Certifications, drop test, temperature ratings, Estop, pressure switch to enable/disable motion... Normal tablets cover none of those.
As soon as you try to solve those problems with a rugged tablet you add weight and cost. And battery life is a problem if you want a full shift.
I'm not trying to talk you out of wireless, I just haven't seen a rugged wireless tablet that is worth using.

Keba has a few devices specifically for machine teaching and axis control. T10 or T20.
Yes, they are wired. But that gives you an e-stop, keeps it "tied" to the right machine, saves weight (batteries) and gets rid of charging issues.
http://www.keba.com/en/industrial-automation/ketop-operation-monitoring/mobile-operating-panels/ketop-t20-eco-techno/

There are others out there too, but that's the best one I've seen.

If you are using a G3, install a wireless access point and enable the web server with remote control. Then use any phone or tablet with a web browser.