OT: Fire alarm

theripley

Hi.

I know this is a big OT, but I just need to ask. I have a Brand A fire alarm control panel that requires new detectors. However, Brand A is not easily available on my location so I would like to use Brand B detectors to be connected to the Brand A fire alarm panel.

Question:
Is there anything that I need to consider to successfully connect the detector to the control panel? Please advise.

a standard smoke or heat detector that just closes to alarm would be interchangeable from that standpoint but operation should be tested afterwards. an addressable system is not interchangeable but they are also newer.

Please state the variables consider

Are the detectors addressable?
If so, do both systems use the same addressing?
Is Brand A a 2 wire detector?

It is OK to tell the brand, and it would be good to provide spec sheets for both detectors. Maybe someone here with more experience could tell you more about it.
I have not worked on any Fire Alarms for several years, but ours used to all be addressable, and we had to have our supplier pre-program them, and then could install them.