PLC training schools

Joe Boxer

Hi I have done PLC programming troubleshooting for the past 20 years. First working in a manataince position then with a electrical contractor. So far all my training has been spelf taught or hands on experience. I was hit with multiple sclerosis and had to stop working. Now I want to go back working again I want a strictly PLC programming I can do from a desk So my question what's a good school to get certified in for PLC ? An online school?

If you want some intensive training, look for ron beaufort's PLC boot camp. I've not been because I'm on the other side of the world, but I've heard nothing but glowing reports of his training. Ron is also a regular contributor here and is extremely knowledgeable.

Check out your local career tech. They often offer cheap Plc courses.

You might have to move to find a community college with the right curriculum but at ....is it still about $35 per unit out there? Anyhow if you find the right community college in your area or in one you can move to and you have 6 months to take off work that might be the route to take. If you are in southern California there was a community college that seemed to teach everything. It was in Costa Mesa...maybe Orange Coast College. I would be surprised if they didn't have an automation program.

well I just checked out the OCC catalog and they do not teach automation....they teach every thing else but not that. Santa Ana College - which has a pretty good mix of programs also do not have an automation program. The good news there are so many community colleges in the southern California area that there should be one with that program.

I recently had to make a similar decision. I am getting ready to go back to school to learn Step 7 and industrial robot programing. Its kind of a gamble because - in my opinion - the economy is still in a state of recession (or maybe it is a depression). Worse yet the talking heads are predicting harder times ahead.

Hey I just checked out long beach college. If you want to learn a variety of PLC control languages that might be the place to go. They also teach traffic light controllers. Good luck.