help me to find a sensor

joeparrish

Ok So I want to build my son a Christmas Present that will kid of be a shooting gallery of shorts I have a bunch of old servo motors to move stuff and a old plc to control it.

What I am looking for is a photo electric through sensor or maybe a red beam through sensor. That I can have one laser or red beam but multiple target receivers.

Can anyone suggest a cheap cheap sensor setup for this

Google DIY laser tag and lots of choices.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=diy+laser+tag

If your familiar with Arduino this looks like a good project and not to expensive.

http://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-Laser-tag-system-from-simple-to-complex/

cool find not really what I am looking for but still cool I am going to call my Keyence rep Monday and maybe our banner rep I don't really deal with any other sensor manufactures to know who is got a good cheap sensor

For this application I would use a good quality long-range, IR laser, retro-reflective in the gun, and then use small reflectors on the targets (20mm round?). Angle the reflectors slightly towards the shooting position to accommodate the sensor's viewing angle. The beam width and reflector size will then determine how "accurate" you need to be.

Alternatively, there are a couple of through-beam Chinese sensors on eBay. These are mostly 12V NPN though. I checked Direct Automation, and Ocean Controls, but they seem to be quite expensive these days $50-$100ea.

Chinese eBay: http://stores.ebay.com.au/Uincelec-...submit=Search&_fsub=3460751018&_sid=974045848

Last edited:
any photosensor will do, make the laser pulsed, so if you see a sensor pulsing that is the target.
arduino is a much better solution for this.

In a past life, I used to build and refurbish old shooting galleries. The most common target was just any kind of photoreceptor, usually a photoresistor, that triggered a variable length one-shot, usually a 555 timer.

The photoresistive type was most common, as it was much less prone to false triggering from clouds passing over, or sunrise/sunset conditions. They also worked equally well on focused IR guns as Xenon strobe based guns. Couple it to the trigger of the 555 with a capacitor, simple and easy.

The pulse output could be turned down for one-shot type things (firing an animation solenoid), or turned up for an animation that you want to go on for a while (say, motorized wheel).

For this application I would use a good quality long-range, IR laser, retro-reflective in the gun, and then use small reflectors on the targets (20mm round?). Angle the reflectors slightly towards the shooting position to accommodate the sensor's viewing angle. The beam width and reflector size will then determine how "accurate" you need to be.

Alternatively, there are a couple of through-beam Chinese sensors on eBay. These are mostly 12V NPN though. I checked Direct Automation, and Ocean Controls, but they seem to be quite expensive these days $50-$100ea.

Chinese eBay: http://stores.ebay.com.au/Uincelec-...submit=Search&_fsub=3460751018&_sid=974045848

If you use this solution, you know you hit a target but you don't know wich one and you don´t know if you hit all of the targets etc. You need one receiver cell in each target and an emitter in the gun. Like this model from Omron: E3FA-TP21

Last edited:
OK, is the laser you're talking about what the gun shoots? Or are you just using the laser/sensor combo to detect if the target is hit and the gun is actually shooting a physical projectile?

Everyone seems to be assuming you're using a laser "gun" but I haven't actually heard you say that's correct.