Copy/Paste Ladder and Tags from one RSLogix 5000 program to another.

Tharon

Hello.

I am using RSLogix 5000 v24.00
I have two instances open and running, with two different programs.
In one of my programs I have a large section of code that I want to copy/paste into my other program.

Is there a way I can copy/paste the ladder into the new project and have it also automatically copy all the tag definitions? I even tried just copying the tags from the one project to the other open project like suggested in this thread here:

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=29399&highlight=rslogix+5000+copy+paste+tags

But I don't seem to have the paste option when I go to my other project after copying the source tags.

I think my best solution would be to turn this commonly reused section of code into an AOI, but that will probably be a future endeavor. For now I think I must be missing some way to copy snippets of code, including the tags definitions, from one project to another.

Yes you can by using the import feature. Highlight the rungs you want then right click and select export rungs. Give it a name and save it. In your "new" program highlight an empty rung, right click, and select import rungs, then select the file you named earlier. It will bring the logic and all tags. And if the tags were part of a UDT it will bring the entire UDT as well, even nested UDTs.

Well, that was simple enough. Thanks.

It even appears to import normal rungs into AOI instructions and switch the created tags over to Local instead of Controller Scoped.

That'll definitely make this easier.