FactoryTalk Legacy Tag Conversion tool - default directory?

Dan Pockrus

I'm trying to use the FactoryTalk Legacy Tag Conversion Tool out on a customer site. I loaded the tool on one of the customer's Windows XP machines and copied over the .MER and .APA files.

Lo and behold, when I run the tool, it is unable to find the .MER and .APA files. Does the tool only look in a specific directory? I tried running the tool specifing only c:\ and clicking the search sub-folders box and still no dice. Any ideas?

My projects are in
C:\Users\All Users\Documents\RSView Enterprise\ME\HMI projects
which is apparently the same as
C:\Users\Public\Documents\RSView Enterprise\ME\HMI projects

Last edited:
My system appears to be searching for .MED files not .MER files (and definitely not .APA as these are archive files and would need to be recovered using the Application Manager)

I just tried renaming to .med and still nothing.

Be aware that the Windows XP machine I'm running the tool on is not the development machine and has no other Rockwell software loaded on it. Not sure if that makes a difference or not.

I am at the absolute end of my rope with this utility - is there anyone out there who would consider converting it for me? It's too big to attach, so please PM me if you are willing to help and we can work out a way to exchange it. I'm rapidly running out of time on this customer site, so I would be forever in your debt if someone can help me out!

You actually have to have the PROJECT to convert the tags. The .MED file isn't just a renamed .MER, it is the actual project root file, You need the project fully expanded to all of its directories.