Another 90-30 Proficy question

JoeM1

Good Afternoon,
I got connected to the 90-30 and now when I go to open a ladder, I get this message that says I have to define a hardware configuration first.
So I checked and the HWC has all the right modules in it.
It also has a green arrow that my research has led me to believe means that it is not saved.
Which begs the question, how do I save it? Saving via the Windows File dropdown does not seem to matter.

Am I even looking at the right thing with regard to the ladder editor not opening?
Thanks in advance for all your good ideas.

I know who the "Green Hornet" is but don't recall a 'green arrow' and I can't quite see from here what you are looking at. A picture in this case may be worth the proverbial 1000 words.

Connect to the CPU and Upload both the Logic and the Configuration and all should be well. Unless maybe you have a VERY old CPU that is not 100% compatible with your version of software, whatever that is.

Last edited:
Well after more experimentation I determined that the green arrow was a red herring.
I still can not open the editor though, even though I have uploaded several different times.

All ideas are appreciated.
Thank You

I'm not sure what you mean by "open a ladder". Do you already have a project file or are you trying to pull the program out of the PLC into a new Machine Edition project?
Please explain exactly what you're trying to do and the steps leading up to the message you're seeing. Please post a screen shot of the message you're getting?

Is your understanding of the direction of data transfer implied by the terms "upload" and "download" the same as Machine Edition's? Machine Edition uses the term "download" to indicate sending the project file from the PC to the PLC and "upload" means transferring the program from the PLC to the PC.

Well after more experimentation I determined that the green arrow was a red herring.
I still can not open the editor though, even though I have uploaded several different times.

All ideas are appreciated.
Thank You
I suggest that you take a few minutes and get familiar with Proficy and its nomenclatures.
In the 'Navigator' Window go to the 'InfoView' tab and do some "Playing".
Or maybe get a QickStart Guide. DO369: Proficy Machine Edition 8.00, 8.50 and 7.50 Getting Started manuals

PME Basics.png

Last edited:
Well what I am trying to do is get online with the PLC in a fashion that allows me to monitor the logic states in "real time". I need to know why a certain output is not turning off.

So I hooked up the laptop.

I open a backup copy.

I then upload and establish communications.

At this point in the HWC there is a "ladder" tree that I can expand until I get to the subroutines. When I click on the subroutines, I get this message that says until I have defined a hardware configuration, I can not open the ladder editor.

Now the thing is, if you go up to where the modules are, those look right.

So I hope this helps.

Screen shots of what you're seeing would help. I can't duplicate your results based on what you've described. There is nothing labeled "Ladder" under the hardware configuration in the navigator window. The next item below hardware configuration is "Logic" which is what you can expand to see all of the program blocks (subroutines).

If your company allows, post the project file and I'll try to open it to see if I have the same issues. If you're not comfortable posting the project, send me a PM through this site and I'll give you an email address where you can send it to me directly.

I just created a new project under PME 7.0. It has a default configuration and I can open the _MAIN program block.

JoeM1.jpg

Joe got his issue figured out. It turned out that he wasn't clicking on the usual icon to open a program block. Instead he was clicking on an icon in a list of MCR instructions used in the program. He sent me a screen shot of Machine Edition with the message he was seeing.

FYI, Joe, I added an MCRN/ENDMCRN to a program and when I clicked on the MCR in the navigator it jumped to the rung in the _MAIN block with the MCRN instruction and didn't give me the message that you got. I was using version 7.0. Perhaps it was something that got fixed between version 6.0 and version 7.0.

Looks like taking a few minutes to learning the "new" software instead of "assuming" how it worked would have saved about a day here. ;-)
Another good lesson learned, I hope.