CIP Generic / ReadSocket

seb.unicycle

My Setup: ControlLogix 5571 with a 1756-EN2T ethernet card
I have an Omega DPI8-EIT (Acts as a ethernet based server that support TCP or UDP communication) You send it a "X01" message and it returns the measured value type of interface.

The Omega unit does not support CIP communication but my understanding is that the EN2T can communicate with generic ethernet module using socket messages.

I configured a Generic Ethernet Module with "comm Format" set to None, because nothing else seems to make sense. I still get a 16#0204 Connection Request Error.

I started to look at the socket messaging but I feel a bit lost and would prefer to follow a clear example where someone setup communication to a generic ethernet module.

Any help or pointers would be appreciated.

Seb

I would recommend you to watch "Logix Sockets" webinar (April 2014) that is available in the Knowledgebase.
It goes over some examples of sockets basics, minimum requrements and examples available.
Specifically for your case you probably should be using Sockets AOI example.

And you should delete Generic Module from the tree - it has nothing to do there.

Also read this Rockwell manual, it helped me a lot.

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/at/enet-at002_-en-p.pdf

For initial testing without the PLC I used this (free) tool. It can act as a TCP client and send commands to your device and read its response. This way I managed to get the communications running before touching the PLC. The next step was to let the PLC communicate in the same way as the TCP client does via MSG instructions. :geek:

http://www.hw-group.com/products/hercules/index_en.html

Last edited:
Thanks for the help and information.
I don't have access to the webinar or I can't find it.
I managed to create a socket to the EN2T module. Then I started to look at the Read and Write Socket information and from what I can see, there is no way to send a "*X01" code Omega module. In a ReadSocket, you don't send a command. With the WriteSocket it returns the number of bytes that were written.
I have software to test the Omega meter so I know it answers when it receives the "*X01" code.
I just don't see where in the socket literature you can specify characters to send and read back characters.
Confused.

You need support contract to see these technotes

TN 600244 - Webinar

TN 50122 - Sockets AOI

If you will do it yourself, you should be using WriteSocket to send data
Your string "X01" will be a part of the Source UDT.
Then you will be executing Read Socket Message to check the incoming buffer.

Again, you will get results much faster if you use the sample code from Rockwell