Another sensor request... Water detection

rdrast

Lifetime Supporting Member
Anybody have any good sensors that can detect when water is sprayed on them? (Think: Liquid cooled cabinet chiller where the manifold pipe splits...)

Not just moisture or humidity, and not a fully submerged sensor like a Water-Witch switch, which requires a maintained conductive path from the sensor to ground.

I'm even looking at some saturable element switches like for sprinkler systems, but they are slow to react and can't be manually cleared until they dry out.

I think you are asking for a lot :)

Water droplet detection. But not submersed. Cannot be moisture or humidity. AND it has to be able to reset.

I was thinking something along the lines of above post, problem I have run into with similar devices was corrosion. Might have been my cheap *** buying the cheapest available. But you cannot reset these.

Well, those can be reset by drying the enclosure, and putting down a new piece of tape. I'll make that effort to save the huge cost of having a multi-tens of thousands of dollars of drive blow up.

How about a self-dumping rain gage, like the type used on automated lawn sprinkler systems? Have to fill with water to a trip level, then at timed intervals a drain opens to empty, to test for more rain. Also works as sprinkler system working detectors.

I had an application last year where we had to close the valve to the water course when it started raining, until we determined that the rainwater runoff from the plant was clean. We had a rainfall sensor, the customer supplied it so I'm not sure of type but if you think it'd be what you're after I can find out? It detected light rainfall after about 10-20 seconds and once you dried it off it'd reset after maybe a minute?

@ASF I'm actually looking for something to trigger quickly when it detects droplets. Bob O Pretty much nailed it. In detail, I'm looking for something to trigger cutting off cabinet coolers (water cooled) if a water line breaks.