SLC 500 Help

Steven1968

I have a SLC 5/03 trainer PLC that I cannot connect to. I have tried several times with no luck. I was hoping to find someone local to help me with this task. I am located in the East Bay Area.

If you pay my flights I'll have a look?

On a more serious note, what port are you trying to connect to on the SLC? What cable are you using? Do you have a real serial port on your PC/laptop or are you using some form of converter?

Your first step would be to state the exact model of SLC (which revision of the 5/03) you are trying to connect to.

Secondly state the cables or other hardware you are using between your PC and the SLC.

Which port on the PC are you using.

Finally which software (include the version number) are you using to connect?

Maybe also include the4 status of the LEDs on the front of the 5/03.

Last edited:
If (and only if) you don’t care about the program that is in the PLC, you could dump the memory and then access the PLC via the channel 0 port. Dumping the memory will change the channel 0 port to default setting (DF1 full duplex) which would allow you to connect via RSLinx and RSLogix500.
To “default” the processor (NOTE: Executing this procedure with result in all data in the PLC being lost. Proceed at your own risk).
• Power down the rack
• Remove the SLC5/03 from the rack
• Disconnect the battery from the SLC5/03
• Purge the capacitor
o Near the battery connection there is a capacitor. From the bottom side of the board short together the two capacitor leads that stick through the board
• Re-connect the battery
• Re-install the PLC into the rack
• Power up the PLC.
The channel 0 port should now be;
• DF1 Full duplex
• 19.2Kbaud
• No parity
• CRC error checking
With this you should be able to configure a DF1 full duplex driver within RSLinx and establish a connection. Once RSLinx can see the SLC5/03 you should then be able to access it via RSLogix500
Having said all of that. You might try to connect to the channel 0 port before dumping the memory. It’s pretty common to use the port as a full duplex port at 19.2Kbaud and/or it may have never been configured (this is likely if there is nothing attached to the port).

If (and only if) you don’t care about the program that is in the PLC, you could dump the memory and then access the PLC via the channel 0 port. Dumping the memory will change the channel 0 port to default setting (DF1 full duplex) which would allow you to connect via RSLinx and RSLogix500.)

+1

I once changed channel 0 to DH485 or something by accident and this was the only way I could get back in.