FactoryTalk View security on page/button

stallone

Hi all,
i know this seems to have been asked alot but i cant find a solution.

I have an HMI application and it has no login for users, its an open program.

I want to add a maintenance page and make it password protected so only a handful of us can log into the button and this will in turn open up my maintenance page with restricted settings on it.

so basically like a goto page button that will require a password before it will open.

There is a few ways to do it but if you don't want to setup users I believe you can just have a numeric input on the screen if the entry is correct set the visibility to true for the goto button or whatever you want protected (Animation->Visibility). Reset it after a set duration, if the screens haven't changed in X minutes, or if the password was incorrect.

Last edited:
The above method is what I use. Simple and quick, and can be toggled on and off from the PLC if needed.

To hide the password, I usually set the text color to the background color, and also change the font to something like WingDings.

I have a button on one of the screens and this button is a goto button, which will take them to a maintenance page,
am i able to just make the first goto button password protected.
as they click it, then it will pop up and ask for password.

The way I'd do that is to create two buttons, a login button and a goto display button. Make them both look identical (i.e. both of them will say "Maintenance Page" or whatever you desire) and place the login button on top of the goto button. Animate the visibility of the login button so that it's invisible when someone is logged in. So if they press the button while nobody's logged in, they'll get the login dialog. If someone IS logged in, they'll get the maintenance page.

Just make sure you also create a method to log out, or enable the auto logout after time. Best practice would be to do both.

Thank you ASF for your help,
It sounds easy enough, however i have created both buttons identical and made the top one a login button.

How do i set it that when they login then the login button will invisble and then the maintenance goto button will be visible.

im not clued up on the expression required for that

Are you familiar with setting up users? If so, you will know that when you set up each user, you can check or uncheck 16 boxes marked "A" through "P" for each user. If you leave box "A" checked for user "user1" then "user1" has security code A. If you uncheck it, "user1" does not have security code A.

So what I'd do is make your default user have all codes except "M" (M for Maintenance), and then create a user called "Maintenance" or "Maint" or "BobSmith" or whatever is desired and then give them all codes including "M".

The visibility expression is then: CurrentUserHasCode(M)

You also have to select what happens to the visibility when the expression is ture: in this case, you want the button to be INVISIBLE when the expression is TRUE.

Does that help?

I have the default user and i have created a new user called maintenance.

I cant seem to find anywhere to set the security codes A-P?

Are you using FTView ME (panelview plus) or SE (distributed SCADA)? It's a bit different for both. But in either case, look for the Runtime Security (yellow key) item on the project tree

thanks all for the help.
i am using FactoryTalk View studio me 5.10.
I setup a user, and then went into runtime security as ASF said, there i was able to give each user different security codes.

Then i placed a login button on my screen, and my goto maintenance button, for the maintenance button i gave it animation that it is invisible unless the correct user is logged in.

I put a logout button on the maintenance screen with the option for it to go to a display on logout but it kept giving me errors to say my version doesnt support logout to display.

So i just make sure the maintenance team press the logout button and then go back to other screen again.

Glad you got it working, and thanks for posting the follow up!

If you wanted to play with it a bit more, there is a way you could probably get it to log out back to the other display. Instead of making your button a logout button, make it a macro button. Then have it execute a macro that does two things: goto main display, then logout.

Have a play with it and look through the help file, you'll probably get it working without too much trouble. Or post back again if you have more questions :) Good luck!