single ended versus differetial AI

RY_Guthrie

I am trying to find a simple explanation of the difference between single ended and differential analog inputs. I have read over the Rockwell manual on the analog input module but it really doesn't give a good explanation on how and why I would use either.

May be this can help:
Analog input interfaces can receive either single-ended or differential inputs. The commons in single-ended inputs are electrically tied together, whereas differential inputs have individual return or common lines for each channel. Single-ended modules offer more points per module than their differential counterparts. Depending on the manufacturer, a module may be set to either single-ended or differential mode during software setup using rocker switches.

one other point is that differential signals offer a higher noise immunity than single ended due to the isolation of wiring.