PanelView Plus 400 connection

ceilingwalker

Lifetime Supporting Member
Good day all. I have a PanelView Plus 400, connected to an ControLogix, via Ethernet Switch. System is running and I need to access the PanelView using my FTViewME. I go to Lynx and RSWho, it shows connectivity to the PanelView however, when I try to access it using the FT, it shows "no Ethernet devices" available. This is new territory for me so I am unsure what to do next, since the Lynx shows it connected to the panelview and talking. I have the PanelView manual and have perused it with no luck at all. Any help would be fantastic, thanks.

Okay, I attached an image of what I have. Lynx is clearly showing the connection however FT is showing nothing. Not sure what I am missing here.

panelview plus 400.jpg

I can't get into the software right now, but you can see that RSLinx Classic is not the same as RXLinx Enterprise - you will likely need to set up some connections inside Enterprise - don't remember if you right-click on Ethernet or what exactly, but you need to add a connection.

I can't get into the software right now, but you can see that RSLinx Classic is not the same as RXLinx Enterprise - you will likely need to set up some connections inside Enterprise - don't remember if you right-click on Ethernet or what exactly, but you need to add a connection.

This is from Factory Talk View SE.

Definitely if you want to send a file to it as well as configure communications to the PLC. But then, I don't use SE - only the ME version - don't know if it's different

Definitely if you want to send a file to it as well as configure communications to the PLC. But then, I don't use SE - only the ME version - don't know if it's different

My bad! It is FTViewME, not SE, that I am using. I have no experience with ME, only SE. So, must I use FTView Studio to upload what is currently at the PV? Thank you

To upload what's in the PV, you use the ME transfer tool

Somehow go to Start\Rockwell Software\Factory Talk View\Tools\ME Transfer Utility

RSLinx Enterprise is still the major player

Last edited:
Yes, pretty sure it is installed automatically and is the only method of communication from FTView ME to the HMI.

I gave up on the Ethernet connection so I am going at it through serial connection. If I understand the material correctly I need to set up a KEP Server, does that sound right to you?

Expensive H/W, Expensive S/W('s), Expensive Support, Series incompatibilities, limited function, not intuitive at all............. can someone explain why one would even purchase this junk?

Are you just on a rant or are you actually trying to download to the PanelView?
...because you just listed a half dozen new topics there.

The easiest way to upload/download: skip RSLinx. Just use a USB memory stick to transfer the project file.
http://theautomationblog.com/transf...er-to-panelview-plus-using-a-usb-flash-drive/

If you want some other good tips on the PVP check out Shawn's blog
http://theautomationblog.com/everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-panelview-plus-part-1/

and no, it's not intuitive to get started with downloads/uploads. The #1 thing that should be easy forces you to learn the #1 pita for new users: setting up communications.
Just push through, figure it out and move on.

Are you just on a rant or are you actually trying to download to the PanelView?
...because you just listed a half dozen new topics there.

The easiest way to upload/download: skip RSLinx. Just use a USB memory stick to transfer the project file.
http://theautomationblog.com/transf...er-to-panelview-plus-using-a-usb-flash-drive/

If you want some other good tips on the PVP check out Shawn's blog
http://theautomationblog.com/everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-panelview-plus-part-1/

and no, it's not intuitive to get started with downloads/uploads. The #1 thing that should be easy forces you to learn the #1 pita for new users: setting up communications.
Just push through, figure it out and move on.

Um, that was my point. With all of those "half dozen topics" I was wondering why one would even purchase these HMI's, what their advantage would be over another brand. Yes, a bit of a rant. If I pay good money I expect a good product and as of now, I haven't found anything good about them, considering cost and ease of use.