RSL5000 Forces

ceilingwalker

Lifetime Supporting Member
Good day. I have been tasked with finding an issue we are having with a ControLogix controlled system. As I initially inspected the PLC I noticed the Force Enable is lit on the CPU. I went online with the CPU and it shows nothing is currently forced however, forces have been enabled. I am not comfortable just disabling forces yet. If I remember correctly from the PLC Bootcamp, there is a "curve-ball" to forces in the RSL5000. My question here is, is it okay to disable forces, since it shows that nothing is being forced, online? Thank you

If there are no forces in the CPU, you can disable the forces safely.
In RSL5000 when forces are removed one at a time, after the last force is removed, the forces are left enabled, even if there are no forces present.

If I remember correctly from the PLC Bootcamp, there is a "curve-ball" to forces in the RSL5000. My question here is, is it okay to disable forces, since it shows that nothing is being forced, online?

the question is: "WHAT is telling you that nothing is being forced" ???

I think that the figure below will be helpful - and the little "Find All Forces" gimmick is probably the "curve ball" that you're thinking of ...

forces_glitch.PNG

Last edited:
the question is: "WHAT is telling you that nothing is being forced" ???

I think that the figure below will be helpful - and the little "Find All Forces" gimmick is probably the "curve ball" that you're thinking of ...

Thank you. Your diagram refreshed my memory. I didn't realize after forces are removed that forces enabled would remain. I know when I remove all forces from RSL500 it would automatically switch to forces not enabled, right? Thanks again.

I know when I remove all forces from RSL500 it would automatically switch to forces not enabled, right?

well, sort of kind of, and maybe ...

in an SLC-500 system (or PLC-5) you can't have forces "enabled" unless you have at least one force present ...

but ...

with most MicroLogix systems, the forces are ALWAYS enabled ...

as with everything else PLC related, one size does NOT fit all ...